Thread: Must have spare parts/supplies

Default Must have spare parts/supplies

Regardless of what type of ATV/UTV you run. What extra parts or supplies do you always have with you or in your group. I am thinking extra gas, spark plugs, tire repair kit, tow rope, small tool kit, beef jerkey...

Let me know what else you wont leave home without to address the unknowns on the trial, long or short ride.

Really depends on what you are doing and how far you are going. for a day just tooling around jims creek then I don't take anything more than the onboard tool kit. For going 50 or more miles into the back country then you have a pretty good list. I would add something to put air back in your tires though.

Spare belt if you have a belt driven machine, hi-lift jack for UTV, duct tape/electrical tape, pack saw. +1 for something to put air into your tires. I have a Ranger, so I have lots of space. I carry one of the Costco jump boxes with a built in air compressor to kill two birds with one stone. With no pull starter I don't want to run out of juice and have to rope-pull my clutch. Here's another thread with some good ideas.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ce-travel-kits

Thanks for the link to the previous threads. Great help and lots of good info.

Looks like I am going shopping.

If I'm towing a meat trailer xtra set of bearings and a small pack of grease. 2 quarts of oil fit in my rear tool compartment if I decide to swamp my machine by accident. A couple assorted sizes of zipties lay in the bottom of my box at all times as well some of the other suggestions here such as duct or gorilla tape.

extra fuel, a 20' rope, Beef jerky and two bottles of water. Been wheeling since 95 this way and haven't needed anything more than that yet, and yes the buddies and I get in to some really wild back country stuff. But on the down side most everyone of my friends has broken something and some of them carry everything including the sink. I guess as long as I add my buddies to my things to bring along list when it's finally my turn I'll just bum something from them.

Not counting survival gear (which will vary and is based on the trip plan) I always have a tire repair kit, electric tire pump, two tow straps, small tool kit, 1/2 quart of oil, Rescue Tape, Duct tape, zip ties, parachute cord, assorted bolts and pins, wire. Depending on the trip, we might carry gas as well.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Almost everything I carry has been mentioned Although I have a mountain house meal in the dry box under my seat that just stays there just incase and I will switch it out when it gets close to expiration. I also carry a VS 17 panel in the dry box for those that dont know what that is its basically just a really bright panel 2 feet by 3 feet that can be easily seen from the air I.E. search and rescue I havent needed it thankfully but you never know it can be used for many other things in a survival situation as well

here is a link to the panels if anyone is interested... they are useful while out hiking/ hunting as well in the event of getting lost or an injury or something..

http://www.bestglide.com/VS17_Info.html

I ride both ATVs and UTVs and over the years, I've had my share of "learning experiences." I currently carry, at a very minimum, a tire repair kit w/ compressor, small tool kit, rope (that tree is always 3 feet further than your winch line will reach!), some snacks and a pre-programmed SPOT Messenger. The further and less familiar the trip is, the more I'll bring along. I've found that the very best tool however, is a buddy. Usually between the two (or more) of you, you'll have what it takes to limp out.