Thread: Freezing Salmon Roe?

Question Freezing Salmon Roe?

Hey I finally caught a female silver this last weekend. We froze the roe to cure it for next season (I'm at work till moose season...). Did I mess up? Should I have just cured it immediately? Pointers on saving the roe, please?

i never freeze my roe until it is cured. Then i always freeze it before i use it even if its over night. The cure i use seems to fish better after its frozen.

We freeze it right from the fish, and sometime we keep it for years. Just thaw and cure. Our only precaution is to squeeze the air from the ziplocs before freezing. No prob.

Thanks BrownBear! The part about getting all the air out of the ziplock made me VERY happy with my FoodSaver purchase before the fishing trip. My wife vacume packed the roe before freezing it. Hoping for good results next summer.

Germe: Good luck with that! From my experience you have to cure it first or you have a big mess on your hands.

We cured some eggs that we froze at the end of last year, came out just fine. /shrug

You should always cure first...then freeze. Less chance of damaging the egg's thin membrane. Also, you should stick your cured eggs in the freezer then vac pac them while they are frozen. If not the suction of the vac pac will rupture some of your eggs

I have frozen them first and never noticed a difference.