Thread: Campfire?

Default Campfire?

On the advice of many on this board, I'm reading Hunt Alaska Now prior to our our hunt, and came across an interesting comment by the author, with no explaination. I'll paraphrase:

"If you're Moose hunting, burn your garbage in campfire, anything that doesn't burn goes in plastic gabarge bag to take out with you."

"If you're Caribou hunting, put ALL of your garbage in a plastic garbage bag to take out with you."

No campfire when Caribou hunting?

I was looking forward to cooking some Caribou ribs, and/or Char during our hunt. Again, your thoughts, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. This is a drop hunt, not float.

Thanks again!

We always have em. I have had bou within a couple hundred yards of our camp while we were sitting out around the fire. Of course they were subsistence caribou, not sport bou which I hear are smarter.

Much of the prime caribou range here in Alaska is pretty limited on wood. It is usually above the tree line or on vast open expanses. This may be the reason the author talks about packing out the trash rather than burning it while caribou hunting. Good luck on the hunt.

A camp without fire is like St. Paddy's Day without beer and a birthday without cake... wrong on several levels.

Quote Originally Posted by D.W.T View Post
    Much of the prime caribou range here in Alaska is pretty limited on wood. It is usually above the tree line or on vast open expanses. This may be the reason the author talks about packing out the trash rather than burning it while caribou hunting. Good luck on the hunt.
    Which is an excellent reason to pack IN wood, at least if you are doing an ATV based hunt.

Cook those ribs-moose, caribou, or pork-in a Dutch Oven using Match-Lite Charcoal and BBQ sauce. Best in-the-field dinner I ever had.

Enjoy your campfire, if you can find anything that will burn. Even a little trash fire can be nice.

Dennis

I have a fire when I can and have time. But like mentioned a lot of the time my hunting takes me above good firewood elevation. So a lot of the time it isn't feasible, but when it is it sure is nice to have.

I think Confer was advocating for a leave-no-trace ethic regardless of the species being hunted, that what goes in with you either comes out or gets burned completely, and as DWT said caribou country is often different with limited wood supply, hence the mention to pack it all out on caribou hunts.

The campfire-or-not question when hunting comes up every fall. Some hunters adamantly believe that campfires while out hunting are a no-no cuz they can scare off game. Personally, I can't imagine not having a campfire while out hunting, both to cook with and get warm by.

I agree... I think this was a "leave no trace" kind of stance, and the wood issue is a true one. A fire when hunting can do a lot for "feeling" good and moral, I would say jsut remember its not the camground, clean up after yourself and don't detroy the area.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

jwolf

I second that, shoot, that's a 10K year tradition! and good for warming that dutch oven, ourselves, and truly, never seen it spook much of anything..

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I think Confer was advocating for a leave-no-trace ethic regardless of the species being hunted, that what goes in with you either comes out or gets burned completely, and as DWT said caribou country is often different with limited wood supply, hence the mention to pack it all out on caribou hunts.

The campfire-or-not question when hunting comes up every fall. Some hunters adamantly believe that campfires while out hunting are a no-no cuz they can scare off game. Personally, I can't imagine not having a campfire while out hunting, both to cook with and get warm by.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksandnoles View Post
    On the advice of many on this board, I'm reading Hunt Alaska Now prior to our our hunt, and came across an interesting comment by the author, with no explaination. I'll paraphrase:

"If you're Moose hunting, burn your garbage in campfire, anything that doesn't burn goes in plastic gabarge bag to take out with you."

"If you're Caribou hunting, put ALL of your garbage in a plastic garbage bag to take out with you."

No campfire when Caribou hunting?

I was looking forward to cooking some Caribou ribs, and/or Char during our hunt. Again, your thoughts, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated. This is a drop hunt, not float.

Thanks again!

As mentioned already, burnable wood is generally pretty limited in most caribou country but it is there. If you're anywhere near a river, especially a braided system there will be driftwood in the bottom. If you're like most of us you'll be camped next to any nearby water, and if you're flying in odds are you're landing strip is on a gravel bar. Alaskan river bottoms are perfect places to make fires...there's wood and come spring, break-up erases all traces of their existance.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I am going on a Kodiak Brown Bear hunt this fall and have always been told to not have a camp fire if your main focus is on bears .... any truth to this?

Have fun building a fire there Green alders don't burn too well...driftwood was too wet Kodiak is the only place I ever REALLY wanted a fire and didn't have anything to burn. I guess there are numerous places that have spruce on Kodiak..I just haven't been to them yet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Old antler sheds burn quite well and in a good 'bou area they are frequently in abundance. One can usually find enough sheds for a (as in one) fire .... but not for every night. Also they burn pretty fast so you will want a pretty good pile before you start.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Old antler sheds burn quite well and in a good 'bou area they are frequently in abundance. One can usually find enough sheds for a (as in one) fire .... but not for every night. Also they burn pretty fast so you will want a pretty good pile before you start.
    The original "Bone fire", I haven’t had one of them in a while.
    Last edited by akula682; 08-07-2010 at 10:30. Reason: spelling
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.