Thread: Kids' scope question - Rossi Trifecta

Default Kids' scope question - Rossi Trifecta

Rossi Trifecta Youth Gun: I bought one for my son and wondered if anyone had a suggestion on a scope for a youth gun? Normally, I lean toward Leupold VX-III, but I don't want to spend that much on a kid's gun. Any suggestions?

I really like the Leupold UL 2.5x. I put one on my son's youth 10/22 but it will move right over to his frst centerfire when its time.

Not too expensive and the eye relief is long and forgivingly non critical. Important when several people may shoot the rifle with varying rifle fit. You don't mention his age but if he's small he'll need generous eye relief due to physically being farther back on the stock.

These little scopes weigh next to nothing and are as tough as a hammer. 2.5x is plenty for any range a kid (and most adults BTW) should attempt a shot at.

I have the Simmons Pro Diamond 4X on an H&R 45/70 and 243 and they work well and give extra eye relife
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm running Vortex Diamondbacks on my kid's rifles in 2.5x7's. They've done such a great job I put one on one of my guns. I bought mine for $200.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I'm partial to the leupold 6x42 scopes (it is a vx-III). You can pick up used ones for ~$250 if you spend some time looking. The M8 4x is also a good scope and you should be able to pick up a used one for under $200, $150 if you're lucky, $100 if you're really lucky.

I've had too many bad experiences with cheap optics to every recomend them, for any application. Or as a friend said, his dad raised them with cheap kids guns, and they kids treated them as such. Start them out with quality equipment and they'll make amazing strides with their ability to hit targets in short order. I also recomend getting some cases of clay targets. The kids prefer shooting at stuff, not paper, and you'll be suprised how quickly they can connect with a relatively small target at extended ranges.

VX-II or Vortex Viper (just ordered a 2-7 for $175 through Doug at Cameraland) or Diamondback, Nikon Team Primos (supposedly same as Monarch) or Bushnell 3200 or 4200
    Drink indigenous.

I just got a new Redfield 2-7 for my 10/22. Rumor is these things are VX-1's for half the cost. I'm impressed with the optics, backed by Leupold's lifetime warranty. I think it'd be tough to top for $120.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Get him a Simmons .22mag scope, about $50 and can handle drops and bangs and hold zero pretty good. I use one on my .22wm that I carry on my snowmachine during the winter while trapping, it is just strapped onto the sled, no special padding, etc, been on there for about 12 years now.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!