Thread: 05 Gizz 660 Front Diff Question

Default 05 Gizz 660 Front Diff Question

I have obtained a used Grizzly 660 05 and have been inspecting for little things I need to repair. While inspecting the breaks, I noticed something when I turn the wheeels. With the Grizzly set to 2-wheel drive, I turned (rotated) the front wheel hub on the driver's right side to simulate wheel movement and noticed that there is resistance in the differential gear housing. The resistance is nothing that I cannot turn by hand, but I do see a little movement on the drive shaft. The drive shaft does not turn, but is effected by the movement (a little jerk). If I turn the driver's left wheel hub in the same manner, there is little to no resistance and no movement of the drive shaft. I have stepped through all of the modes (2-weel. 4-H/L, diff-lock) when the unit is running and elevated, and they all seem to work fine. I was hoping that another Grizzly owner, or knowledgeable person could shed some light on whether this type of action is normal for a differential? Thanks!

Howdy, I have an 02 660 griz with the same diff. I remember reading about this on Highlifter.com and beleive it's normal. Mine does it too. I think it has to do with the On-Command 4x4 system. You can shift it in and out of 4wd at any speed. It's synchrnized. The right front is the primary drive axle until it slips and then the limited slip kicks in. I do it all the time on mine. Obviously you have to be stopped to put it in dff-lock though. It's great to be driving up the trail in 2wd, come around the corner, see a mudhole and just push the button.

On thing you should do, disconnect the connectors on the servo unit on the front diff and fill em up with dialectric grease. They are a little tricky to get off but you should do it. Do the spark plug wire and every other electrical connector you can get to also.

My buddy SilverTipGriz is the moderator in the Alaska and Yamaha forums over at www.atvfrontier.com. He's got a totally modded out griz and knows a lot about them.

Enjoy your Griz. They are great machines.

Perry

Default Thank You.

I suspected that it was fine, it didn't feel "broken". Thanks for the great reply, and I will consider the dialectric grease for sure! I suspect the grease keeps moisture out.. Tanks again. BeakJunki

Quote Originally Posted by beatjunki View Post
    I suspected that it was fine, it didn't feel "broken". Thanks for the great reply, and I will consider the dialectric grease for sure! I suspect the grease keeps moisture out.. Tanks again. BeakJunki
    Ya, what can happen if you get moisture in there is it kind of tricks the quad into kicking in the governor/rev limiter that normally kicks in when you are in diff lock and spin the tires too fast, 22mph I think it is. So, your quad will start cutting out.