Thread: pheasant on k-penn

Default pheasant on k-penn

pheasent on k penn abundant?legal?ferral? whats up with that?

No closed season on Feral non native game birds last page of your hunting regs.......yes the K-penn has some and they are delicous.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

is there any limit to speak of? I have seen plenty in one area

See the second to last page of the regs (pg 126): No limit... no closed season... kill 'em all and let the cook sort them out.

There are some who wish to see these birds take a firm root in the wild and become a legit game species for Alaska. At this point in time, they are nothing but escapees from game farms and considered feral non-native. You are welcome to kill as many as you can.

BTW... what's the "one area" you've seen plenty in? Not looking for your specific hunting spot, but curious about what region of the Kenai you're seeing them in (e.g. Homer, Anchor Point, etc). Most reports come out of the Anchor Point area and a bit down toward Homer. Haven't heard of much north of there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

When I lived up West Hill Road in Homer we would see them on the road quite often. Sometimes we would see road kill. Homer seems to have a lot of feral animals hanging around.

Yes, Rick is correct: they are tasty. Far more so than spruce chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    See the second to last page of the regs (pg 126): No limit... no closed season... kill 'em all and let the cook sort them out.

There are some who wish to see these birds take a firm root in the wild and become a legit game species for Alaska. At this point in time, they are nothing but escapees from game farms and considered feral non-native. You are welcome to kill as many as you can.

BTW... what's the "one area" you've seen plenty in? Not looking for your specific hunting spot, but curious about what region of the Kenai you're seeing them in (e.g. Homer, Anchor Point, etc). Most reports come out of the Anchor Point area and a bit down toward Homer. Haven't heard of much north of there.
    Yeah, but JOAT, we got turkeys!

Quote Originally Posted by otterpants747 View Post
    pheasent on k penn abundant?legal?ferral? whats up with that?
    The Pheasant found on the Kenai Peninsula are Alaska Fish and Game's attempt to introduce enhanced foul hunting to this area. I have seen many Ringnecked Pheasant in the Funny River area.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/...nts_alaska.pdf

Yeah north of what your talking bout and south of soldotna ill say that much. Yeah i was like dam wasnt expecting to see that today. On private property though

I saw 6 in my friend's back yard in Homer last night. Really wish it was legal to shoot in city limits. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashoba View Post
    The Pheasant found on the Kenai Peninsula are Alaska Fish and Game's attempt to introduce enhanced foul hunting to this area. I have seen many Ringnecked Pheasant in the Funny River area.

No they are not. If you read the report you linked to, the gov't attempted to transplant pheasants to the Kenai in 1940 and that attempt failed. There are no birds from the 1940 transplant remaining. The gov't gave up on trying to put pheasant anywhere in Alaska way back in the 1950's.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

no birds remaining???? well what the hell are they doing here???pretty simple if people see them regulary they are still here right?

No birds remaining from the batch of birds that the gov't released back in 1940. I'm pretty sure pheasant won't live 70 years. By all the gov't accounts, the longest they saw a released pheasant survive in the wilds was about 2 years. They were never able to establish a self-perpetuating population and the harsh winters didn't fair well for something as tasty as a pheasant.

The pheasant population around Homer is a recent release within the last dozen years by private citizens, not the gov't. I'd bet the guy is buying eggs through the mail, hatching them, and once they are grown, he is releasing them. Dump a few dozen birds in the woods every year and they will either adapt or die. Some are adapting. I have a first hand account from a friend who last spring found a nest in the wilds north of Homer that was full of eggs. He didn't see the hen, but it was his dog that found the nest so she was likely holed up nearby. He pulled his dog away from the nest and departed so as not to let his dog ruin things as he'd be happy to see pheasant succeed here just like many other bird hunters would.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default More info...

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    No they are not. If you read the report you linked to, the gov't attempted to transplant pheasants to the Kenai in 1940 and that attempt failed. There are no birds from the 1940 transplant remaining. The gov't gave up on trying to put pheasant anywhere in Alaska way back in the 1950's.
    There are other old reports documenting there were some birds still living and may have multiplied. However, the project did not prosper enough to warrant any further recognition and was abandoned according to ADF&G protocol. This information is buried and is not easy to find. I think ADF&G probably does not want the general public to know much about these kinds of failures. The first time I found this information was by accident. I don't know if I could find it again but, if I do I will be sure to post a link.

what else they tried to put out there?

Quote Originally Posted by otterpants747 View Post
    what else they tried to put out there?
    Here is a link for you to check out. I just happen to have this saved on my computer.

I saw a pheasant in ninilchik Thursday night and asked a local about it, there's a guy in town there that had "about 600" pen raised birds some escape their gillnet inclosure regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by TMCKEE View Post
    I saw a pheasant in ninilchik Thursday night and asked a local about it, there's a guy in town there that had "about 600" pen raised birds some escape their gillnet inclosure regularly.
    Yeah, they "escape" that king net with great regularity; must be some really smart birds to figure out how to walk through a 6-inch hole.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!