Thread: Dying Honda Rancher 400 AT

Default Dying Honda Rancher 400 AT

Hi all. I am trying to figure out why my 2006 Honda Rancher 400AT keeps dying out. On a full charged battery it will run normal for about an hour or so and then it dies out. I keep having to recharge my battery to use the Honda. Any ideas on what the problem is?

my guess would be your stator is bad, but thats only a guess since the stator is your charging system in the hondas. go to this website and ask the same question, bunch on honda guys there that really know their stuff. http://www.hondaatvforums.net/

I bet if you went to car quest or some other place and got a bat. from them, your problems would be cut in half. That being said, there have been battery problems with all the new wheelers that have the digatal read out. If they sit for more than a month then you will have a problem.

Waters idea is probbaly better than mine, ( the website) but just keep it in mind.

I just bought the 2010 model, so I'm sure I will run into this also. I just hit 51 miles on it today and those were all taking my dog for a walk for the last 4 months, lol.

They said I was'nt going to have to change the oil for the first 100 miles, then bam the indicator says change oil now. GRRRRRRRRRRR

My 2.cents

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I bet if you went to car quest or some other place and got a bat. from them, your problems would be cut in half. That being said, there have been battery problems with all the new wheelers that have the digatal read out. If they sit for more than a month then you will have a problem.

Waters idea is probbaly better than mine, ( the website) but just keep it in mind.

I just bought the 2010 model, so I'm sure I will run into this also. I just hit 51 miles on it today and those were all taking my dog for a walk for the last 4 months, lol.

They said I was'nt going to have to change the oil for the first 100 miles, then bam the indicator says change oil now. GRRRRRRRRRRR

My 2.cents
    every 100 hours not miles... and slow as you are you prolly got 500 hours into those 51 miles
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wrong there Vince, The break in is at 100 MILES, lol The next one is 600 miles.

Hey it gets me out there and as slow as I go, I have time to smell all those rose hips. grin

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kunneak View Post
    Hi all. I am trying to figure out why my 2006 Honda Rancher 400AT keeps dying out. On a full charged battery it will run normal for about an hour or so and then it dies out. I keep having to recharge my battery to use the Honda. Any ideas on what the problem is?
    ok now for the real question... i would serious doubt the stator went out on your honda...
    i would check first the fuse, and all conections to make sure something has not come un done... a meter while runing will check the charge, first at the battery then back to the charging system.. there will be a plug on it. it is not entirly uncommon to take a stick to a wire harness while out riding... i got one once all the way back up under the seat on the main frame that broke a wire... what a bugger to find.. but i had to as i was dead in the water 30 miles from anywhere... your battery could also be bad and unable to charge, however a battery charger can throw enough voltage to give it a kick... check the water level in it. i have found that when mine is stone dead the alt will not charge it with out help from a battery charger kicking it at least 3/4 along the way to full...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I would say throw a new battery in or at least refill the water of your old one. Next Look at your wiring. I had a relay once get real wet and it corroded up inside. It still worked, but it let current by and would drain the battery every few days. I replaced it and its fine. no more battery drain.