Thread: Pro's and con's of PA 22/20?

Default Pro's and con's of PA 22/20?

Well I've been working on trying to figure out what I can afford and I and everyone here has been helping and teaching me alot and it's appreciated. So I thought that it would be nice to start on the front runners one at a time and see what interesting info comes from it.

What would you say is the pro and cons of the pa 22/20? What experiences do you have with them? Do you know where some good info can be found on them? Would you go with a 20, 22 or a 22/20? What is the largest Hp that can be mounted? What STC's would you want or require? What mod's would you suggest and what additional preformaces would it provide? As I'm sure you remember or can imagine, I want to get something that can do floats, skis, and off airport. On a side note does anyone have any additional info that they can share on where to learn or how to learn about buying older planes? What are the pitfalls? How do you know if you can trust a restoration stated? What mistakes have you made that you learned from? Any thoughts or suggestion on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Yes I know it's alot of question and I'm sure that there are many more that can be or should be asked but anything that you can share would be great. Please lets keep this specific to the PA 20,22, 22/20. Let the fun begin

Here, this will keep you busy for a while..... http://www.shortwingpipers.org/

Pick up a copy of "The Illustrated Buyers Guide to Used Airplanes". It's a book with lots of good information on buying a plane including performance data on many models including the PA20 and 22. If you have decided on a PA20 then I also recommend joining the Short Wing Piper Club. It's one of the best type clubs out there. They have local chapters which you could join that would be a great resource for you. They will know a lot about the planes in your area (like which ones to avoid) and local mechanics that can help you with pre-purchase inspections. Do not buy a plane that is cheap and needs a little work. That will always cost you more in the long run. Spend more up front for a plane that is in good shape without a lot of time on the engine or old fabric, etc. Whatever you think it will cost you to maintain a plane it will be a lot more. Good luck.

Never trust a recent annual and make sure you really understand all the ADs that apply to the plane you're thinking of buying. Both those burned me big time.

I Like the 22-20, I've had two and like them both. If you want a big engine get a Maule, don't waste youyr time with a Pacer. Your have three engines: 135/140 , 150 and 160. The 135/140 is 140 for T/o so there really isn't enough diference between the 1`35 and the 150 to make a diference. I had a 160hp and there is a diference, but the fuel burn is 9-9.5 gph. the loads are just about the same for all. The 135 will burn as low as 6.5 gph and run's good on auto fuel or a mix of the two. The 160 is a high compression engine and doesn't like the car gas very much. As far as mods go there is another post that got into it extensively. You really don't need many mods and they are very cheep to do vs. cessna's. If you go to Ed Trimmer he will be willing to tell you everything a Pacer needs especially the mods he sells and installs and that he would be able to mod a plane he is selling( he always has one for sale). but remember he is in the business of making money off Pacer's, if he isn't getting anything out of it don't expect him to give away the store. Right now you can't give away a Pacer in Alaska so as far as worring about buy a cheep one isn't the issue it was in the past, buyers market. I've about decied to keep mine and use it for a grocery getter when I don't want to fly the 180. I'm listed at 18,900 so you should be able to find something in that price that somebody needs to sell and might go even lower. At these prices you you be able to salvage a wreck for more than the diference of a couple of years insurance. My annual last year was 400.00. The bottom line is just go find something you like, a mechanic you like, have a prebuy/ annual done and go flying and stop driving yourself crazy with this running in circles on the internet.

Algonquin,

Sorry to hijack a little bit here, but I am unable to send a PM on here but would like to contact you about your Pacer. Can you pm me your email address?

OE

How well does your 135 Pacer perform with a load (ie two people or so, full fuel, and lots of gear)? TO ground roll, climb out, landing ground roll, etc..
    -Out-of-State for school, remembering why I love Alaska so much