Thread: Sheep Hunt Article by Doug Borland - Traditional Bowhunter mag

Default Sheep Hunt Article by Doug Borland - Traditional Bowhunter mag

All this recent talk about sheep hunting and upcoming hunts (and sharing or not sharing info <grin>)...I just wanted to mention that perhaps the best dall sheep-hunting piece - Grandpa's Ashes - I've ever read is in the latest Aug/Sept issue of Traditional Bowhunter magazine.

Didn't want to just post this in the bowhunting forum, as this article would be such a good read for every hunter. So if you don't subscribe to the magazine, see if you can borrow a copy from a friend or read it at the library.

Doug goes back to a place in the Brooks 30 years after he and Jay Massey hunted it. He's much older of course, so is his buddy Dick Robertson, and they bring along Dick's son, Yote. It's a twenty-mile hike in from the LZ.

The goal for Doug and Dick is really just to see if they can still get out there, if their bodies will hold up. But they have sheep tags with them <grin>.

Doug describes: "I realized that I had consciously protected the location of this special place all those years as Jay and I had vowed, but now at age 62 I knew that it was time to pass along as much as I could to a younger generation. I would literally be giving up this spot to Yote and his peers."

Yote ends up getting a nice ram: "Then we moved our camp below Observation Mountain and replicated the scenic base camp of 30 years previous, hiking daily after other rams, fishing for stunted char in the narrow creek, and especially enjoying the upgrade from freeze-dried fare to sheep ribs and sheep steaks over the willow campfire every evening."

They stay a bit longer, and due to luck and weather and skill Dick ends up taking a ram too, and he spreads some of his dad's ashes (Yote's grandpa...he'd recently died) in the air and over the sheep with his son:
    "As I framed another photo of Dick and Yote beside the regal ram, Dick produced a small canister from his pack. With a smile, a look above, and a few hushed words, he tossed a pinch of his dad's ashes to dust the ram, blow in the wind, and rest forever in the Brooks Range."

Very touching moment. The whole story is just a great read overall, some great pics too, in that it shares so much of what we all feel about sheep country, aging and wondering how much longer you can pull it off, and the real need to pass this on to the younger generation of hunters. And just sharing a camp with friends and enjoying their success. Highly recommend it if you can get a copy!

Man sounds like a great read!!

Dicks article in the the PBS magazine of the same hunt is also a good read.

Default How many dead guys are floating around the Brooks Range?

My dad did a similar hunt in the 80s (rifle, though). His buddy had died and stipulated that he wanted his ashes spread during a Brooks sheep hunt. Got a full-curl.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

right on, look forward to picking that one up...sounds like a tear jerker.

I know Doug through family and business. As a young kid I looked through a hunting photo album (All Traditional bow) of his while the family was over to his house for thanksgiving, It left a lasting impression to this day as to what hunting really was about. thanks for posting I would have missed the story otherwise.