Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding a hunt area help

Default Finding a hunt area help

New to moose hunting or caribou also. Want to try it this year. Is there a statewide source that I can find out what areas are most productive, most animals, least hunters or any such info. I've mentioned several areas to people I know and usually get the response that it use to be good there but not now. I also have a airboat and am looking for a area to hunt with my boat. Don't want to go to the northslope but not limited to the Anchorage area also. Don't want to know somebody's honey hole I can find my own. Just looking for a area with reasonable expectations of success. There should be a chart/list available with success ratio for different areas statewide, anybody know of something like this. Also, as of now I will be hunting alone, if anybody is experienced and interested, give me a pm pls. Bud

Last edited by dkwarthog; 08-04-2010 at 15:07. Reason: bad hair day

Buy this book, Float Hunting Alaska’s Wild Rivers by Michael Strahan

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=400

A great resource.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg
    Don't want to know somebody's honey hole I can find my own.

blackdawg, no disrespect intended, but that is quite the line really on a post asking where to find out some good places to hunt <grin>.

For the record, I pulled my post as part of my "kindler and gentler" rehabilitation, lol

Post Lets send ALL the airboats to one great spot! Post exact GPS coordinates here!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]

blackdawg, no disrespect intended, but that is quite the line really on a post asking where to find out some good places to hunt <grin>.
    Aw, c'mon Mark. Give'm the GPS coordinates for your place there so he and ALL the other airboaters here can come and get a nice easy moose and caribou out of your yard.

If they PM you ahead of time, maybe you could have one tied up out front?

Just joshin' you a bit there blackdawg, but likely you get my point. It takes getting out and seeing for yourself. Start with published books that say that your nice equipment there can usually make the trip. Then go ahead of time. Don't be afraid to turn back and try another area if the published info is old, wrong, or you're at a different time of year.

Once you have some favorite areas, search these boards for exact places or river names and likely you'll find more & better info. Use Google.com's advanced search and limit its results to this one domain name and you'll do far better than using this site's search function.

If you're really at square one for where to start, here is some great info that is free, right here on this site, that many members here have likely never even seen:

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/areas/

Good luck, have fun, be safe, and thanks for letting me josh you just a bit before actually trying to help.
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 08-04-2010 at 15:36. Reason: dkwarthog, I did not. But I did add some useful info onto my first reply as part of my own "kinder and gentler" rehab.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    For the record, I pulled my post as part of my "kindler and gentler" rehabilitation, lol
    We like to call it "reprogramming"

Im a man, but......... I can change, if I have to.....I guess..

As kind and gentel as I can get.....it's called scouting, it is 90&#37; of hunting and being a good hunter! Do your resurch and hit the field. Better get started your about 3 months behind!
    Last edited by Rick P; 08-04-2010 at 15:50. Reason: Soft ware completely blows
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    New to moose hunting or caribou also. Want to try it this year. Is there a statewide source that I can find out what areas are most productive, most animals, least hunters or any such info. I've mentioned several areas to people I know and usually get the response that it use to be good there but not now. I also have a airboat and am looking for a area to hunt with my boat. Don't want to go to the northslope but not limited to the Anchorage area also. Don't want to know somebody's honey hole I can find my own. Just looking for a area with reasonable expectations of success. There should be a chart/list available with success ratio for different areas statewide, anybody know of something like this. Also, as of now I will be hunting alone, if anybody is experienced and interested, give me a pm pls. Bud
    You should start with an Alaska Atlas. It's the big red book full of maps at any book store, or sporting goods store usually. If you're anything like me, you'll need two or three. You'll start drawing in them, writing notes in them. All sorts of things. Look at areas that interest you, areas you can get to. Look at specific areas, buy more books. Come here, and search specific areas, if nothing can be found, then ask about those areas. Get on the Fish and game website, look up the hunting units, search the tags, look at tag maps, look at the population surveys, the harvest numbers, the number of permits. etc, etc.

The biggest thing I can tell you is that success is directly related to how hard you are willing to work for it.

OK really getting tierd of the new software! HATE having a stupid machine make me look like a moron! I've correted my spelling twice! Never wrote 90&#37: and it is still posted incorectly! What gives befor I pull my membership!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I knew someone would post something helpful.....everything you need to plan an alaskan hunt is located in icb12's post.

I would add...spend 2 years in the field figuring out where NOT to hunt, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    You should start with an Alaska Atlas. It's the big red book full of maps at any book store, or sporting goods store usually. If you're anything like me, you'll need two or three. You'll start drawing in them, writing notes in them. All sorts of things. Look at areas that interest you, areas you can get to. Look at specific areas, buy more books. Come here, and search specific areas, if nothing can be found, then ask about those areas. Get on the Fish and game website, look up the hunting units, search the tags, look at tag maps, look at the population surveys, the harvest numbers, the number of permits. etc, etc.

The biggest thing I can tell you is that success is directly related to how hard you are willing to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P
    I've correted my spelling twice! Never wrote 90&#37: and it is still posted incorectly! What gives befor I pull my membership!
    Now that's funny, Rick! <grin>

The new forum software isn't recognizing the percent sign in many cases, and turns it into html code, hence the weird letters and symbols part of your post.

New to Alaska, or new to hunting, I've given my thoughts on this before...
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-your-homework

To quote myself: Do your homework, and start now because it takes some time. There’s a lot of information out there that can help you plan a successful hunt, but no one is going to drop it in your lap.

In your case, not to be cynical, but this is awfully late in the game to be start planning your hunt. Maybe for next year.

icb12's post is right on. It may not be too late to put something together for this year, but you're going to have to work at it. I think your best bet is to find someone more experienced who could use a packer and try to tag along. Maybe they'll take pity on you and help you out for your trouble.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Now that's funny, Rick! <grin>

The new forum software isn't recognizing the percent sign in many cases, and turns it into html code, hence the weird letters and symbols part of your post.
    Thanks for stepping in and giving him the latest Mark. Lord knows Rick doesn't need any help looking like a moron.

Rick, hows the summer going? Did you ever make it up to that lake I told you about?

It can sometimes be surprising what the guys behind the Fish and Game counter will blurt out. And they really do know. Downside is, they might give you the kids table treatment if you come in sounding like some tenderfoot who doesnt know to hold the reg book right side up.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Never wrote 90&#37: and it is still posted incorectly! What gives befor I pull my membership!
    Pull your membership? Seriously Rick... It's a software glitch that the developers are aware of and that should be fixed with the next update sometime this fall. It's been all over the boards and there is nothing we can do about it at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Pull your membership? Seriously Rick... It's a software glitch that the developers are aware of and that should be fixed with the next update sometime this fall. It's been all over the boards and there is nothing we can do about it at this time.
    Brian are you 100&#37; sure it will be fixed this fall?

From reading the book by Mr. Hackenburg (available through the store on this site) I learned the importance of a good hunting partner. Then from experience, I learned that you don't find one advertising on this site. (you will learn alot of e-harmony jokes that way though). Once you find a good, experienced partner, you will learn the techniques of how to find a good hunting spot.
    Once you're at that point, you need to do what we Marines call a "Map Recon". Go to Google Maps and look at the satelite and terrain views of the areas you are interested in. Once you select an area, I suggest making a laminated 8 1/2 X 11" satelite print of the area.

I have found some great hunter partners on this site, so it can be done.
    Take your airboat to the Tanana start heading up the rivers that run into it. Take a chain saw and keep exploring until you find what you are looking for. The Tanana flats and the rivers that drain into it are classic airboat and moose country. You have to get out and start finding places NOT to hunt to find the place to hunt....

Good Luck

Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast