Thread: Spiny Dogfish Shark limit & eating quality

Default Spiny Dogfish Shark limit & eating quality

I saw something on the fish and game "Homer area report" that the limit for spiny dogfish shark has been raised to five per day and no recording necessary. Can't seem to find details on a Fish and Game E/O or regulation book. Just wondering if it applies to PWS or resurrection bay as well.

I doubt I would ever keep five, but have wanted to keep a few to try in Alaska since I happened to like shark I had tried before and my English friends tell me there was a day when most fish and chips in the U.K. were dogfish shark. I have had friends who tell me that the dogfish (& salmon shark) they have kept here, as long as they were bled, gutted, and iced immediately, were mild tasting fish that was firm almost like swordfish.

Also be interested in what other people think about the eating qualities. Got a freezer full of salmon, halibut, and other goodies. Thought I might try a little variety.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i eat them... they are actually a good white meat fish also... i gut and clean them as soon as they hit the deck grill them up with butter onion and garlic sometimes on the boat.. quite tasty!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Your friends told you right. Take care of them, and they're excellent. Our kids grew up eating shark because there was no concern about bones. That makes it really versatile for a variety of uses as well.

Serious?! My grand dad lost his ring finger to one of those mothers. I might enjoy taking a bite.

"To know your enemy you must consume your enemy"
    - Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

I deep fried them last year along with some lingcod and rockfish and they were pretty **** tasty.....
    I make sure to take my annual limit every year - Two less on this earth each year.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    "To know your enemy you must consume your enemy"
    - Sun Tzu "The Art of War"
    Great quote....

Definitely going to have to try it. Does anyone know the exact area where the regulations changed? I think more time will be spent in Whittier or Seward than the Lower Cook inlet for me.

Interesting. Always thought they were "trash" fish. How do you Fillet/prepare them, besides very carefully??

Default High Mercury Levels

Just remember that the sharks have high mercury levels. Its recommended that pregnant women and children avoid eating much - if any.

mercury info.pdf

In Europe that's what you eat when you order "fish & chips"=spiny dogfish
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    That's what I saw too. But where's the reg or EO? I am wondering exactly what area this covers.

The mercury levels is something to think about, that's one of the reasons I'd prefer to keep 2 or 3 smaller dogfish (besides most I catch are pretty small) but still save room just in case I happen across a Salmon Shark. To be honest, I am not sure what I would do with so much shark meat, but I'd like to try it at least once for both the catching and the eating thing. I have enough friends who would help out I think as long as I knew the eating qualities were good. Don't ever want to kill something I can't use.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    In Europe that's what you eat when you order "fish & chips"=spiny dogfish
    Yes we once took a Guy from England out, caught a bunch of Doggies and fried them up top show him what a 'Rock Salmon' really was.

It's OK fish it's just that we have so many others that taste better.

I always thought these things were trash fish, they have a limit. We had a good halibut bite going on and these things move in and you can't get your line down to the bottom. We must have caught 20 or 30 of them off a Flat Island. Theres alot of them in upper cook inlet also. We got into them off green island last yearalso. To me they all weight about 8 or maybe 10 pounds. Didn't know they were good to eat. I'll start throwing my halibut back to make room for them.