Thread: cabelas alaska guide sleeping bags????

Default cabelas alaska guide sleeping bags????

was wondering if anyone out has had any experience with these bags. I am currently looking at getting a sleeping bag but im not sure what to get. The only reason im looking at the cabelas line is becuase i have used there stuff before and it wasnt that bad. Any suggestions would be helpfull thanks.

joe

Quote Originally Posted by joebut1985 View Post
    was wondering if anyone out has had any experience with these bags. I am currently looking at getting a sleeping bag but im not sure what to get. The only reason im looking at the cabelas line is becuase i have used there stuff before and it wasnt that bad. Any suggestions would be helpfull thanks.

joe
    Well we all have out favorites <grin> but it really depends on what you want to do with it and where you want to do it. For car camping most any bag will do because if you get really cold you just go sit in the vista cruiser and warm back up. Now if you want to go deer hunting Kodiak for 5 days in Oct you should probably put some more thought (and money) into your bag. What about winter camping? Provide us w/ a budget and some more info about what kind of camping you want to do and you will get more info than you can stand.

Not familiar with that model, but I bought some Cabelas Boundary Waters bags a few years back for float trips and they are awesome. Warm, pack small, lightweight, etc.. Just perfect for what I was looking for. We got the 0 deg rectangular bags and they work well for fall float trips. Come with a high quality waterproof compression stuff sack as well. As said above, depends on what you are looking for.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0045000517590a.shtml
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

As LuJon said... it really depends on what you conditions you plan to use it under. Looking at that cabelas alaskan guide, I see you can get ratings from 0 to -40, with the weight of the bag ranging from 7 to 9 pounds - not something I would want to take on a backpacking hunt. But might serve you really well for cold-weather camping if you're not packing it too far.

A hunting buddy has the Cabela's XPG Backpacker and loves it. No complaints on his goat hunt last year, and he's getting ready to set off with it for a DCUA sheep this weekend (me = jealous!)

My two go-to bags are the North Face Cat's Meow 20 and the Kelty Light Year 20. Both clock in under 3 pounds. Both cost under $200. Both have kept me plenty warm on goat and sheep hunts when teamed up with my Big Agnes Insulated Aircore pad.

Folks have nothing but good things to say about the Wiggy's sleeping bags. Haven't used one myself... maybe someday. Check 'em out.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

well in regards to what it will be used for, well i like to do everything, not to much overnight hunting in the winter but in the spring im definitly sleeping on snow durring that time and it will be getting used throughout the rest of the year, possibly on some snowmachine trips to. Budget wise im not really to concerned about, i believe that buying the reliable item first, verses buying a cheaper lower end item and constatly haveing to replace it is better.

I have a cabelas -30 bag, it is awesome for moose hunting in Sept and deer hunting in Oct, but it is also heavy so it would not be good for backpacking trips or sheep/goat hunting

Sir, you need to talk with Marc at Wiggys AK. A FTRSS would likely suit you perfectly. I have one and really like it. Basically it is a sleeping bag with a second over bag. You can use either independently of the other or combined to fill a wide array of temperature ranges. The key is figuring out what your cold limit is. If it is just 5 or 10 below zero then get the Glacier hunter 15* as the core bag. I currently own a glacier hunter bag that I used on Kodiak goat hunting last year as well as a zero degree superlight that I have used w/ the 35* overbag down to -25 (probably colder) with success.

I recently purchased a down bag but I don't think I will be taking it out on any long trips any time soon. It is still super light (2lbs)and packs tiny (8x8)which will be perfect for light and fast over-nighters during the summer.

Not a fan of Cabelas bags... borrowed one from MWR for a moose hunt three years ago and froze my butt off. NO way that temperature rating is remotely accurate.

Like others have said- call Wiggy's, you won't be dissapointed.

I have the Alaska Guide model -40 it is a great bag, used it moose hunting, just heavy for the moutains. It will be going with me sheep hunting and will be the heaivest thing I'm carrying in my pack.But atleast I'll sleep good.

Like everybody else....Get a Wiggy's. I have used other bags and onced I tried a Wiggy's I got rid of my other bags. North Face and Cabelas are both gone. Your life is to important to chance it with anything else.

Default $230 to $290...

The bags you're looking at appear to be on sale, for $230 to $290.

Features include:

"... 220T cotton liner is as warm, soft and comfortable as flannel sheets"

Cotton tends to stay damp or wet. Bags get damp or wet for different reasons, but if it matters to you... for $230-$290, ... you're in Anchorage right?... I'd shop around a bit.

Good luck either way.

Try this link, just to get an idea of what's available: http://www.rei.com/CompareProduct/User, searched for "synthetic fill sleeping bags", then sorted by price.

When shopping for sleeping bags, I'd talk to store staff about temp ratings - methods have recently changed.
    Worthwhile to try sleeping bags for fit before buying - including if there's enough room for you to wear insulating layers inside the bag - which can extend your temp range - without adding weight.

Wiggys bags come in different sizes long, reg, short, wide etc. Marc at wiggys AK will make sure you get the right one.

I also have a North Face cats meow bag and it is pretty light for a synthetic and packs reasonably small but wasn't warm enough for me. I am a pretty still sleeper and can sleep pretty well in a narrow bag usually. The problem I had w/ the cats meow is that I had points where the bag would pull tight against me and when that happens it compresses the insulation and produces cold spots. A little bit bigger bag would have probably helped.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Sir, you need to talk with Marc at Wiggys AK. A FTRSS would likely suit you perfectly. I have one and really like it. Basically it is a sleeping bag with a second over bag. You can use either independently of the other or combined to fill a wide array of temperature ranges. The key is figuring out what your cold limit is. If it is just 5 or 10 below zero then get the Glacier hunter 15* as the core bag. I currently own a glacier hunter bag that I used on Kodiak goat hunting last year as well as a zero degree superlight that I have used w/ the 35* overbag down to -25 (probably colder) with success.

I recently purchased a down bag but I don't think I will be taking it out on any long trips any time soon. It is still super light (2lbs)and packs tiny (8x8)which will be perfect for light and fast over-nighters during the summer.

hate it when this happens.... but giong to agree with Jon... cost / benifit go see marc taylor at wiggys ak...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

thanks everyone i do believe i am going to be going with the wiggy's bag as i talk to marc yesterday. they have a good warranty and from what everyone says they are a really nice bag. im going to go and check them out today so thanks again everyone and have a nice day.

Default Got the wiggys bag

well thanks again, i decided on the wiggys bag and it looks great now i just have to try it out, which im looking forward to doing here in about 2 weeeks. one thing i did notice is that the price on the wiggys website is different then what i paid for in the store, just a bit cheaper online, not sure why and theres also a 30% off on the online site. not that it really matters, im just happy to have a sleeping bag that hopefully will perform well. thanks again to all.

Joe - Pleasure meeting you. You've got a great bag. Wiggy occasionally runs a sale online and if price is what is a driving force and shopping online doesn't freak you out, then take advantage. However, you've paid for personal customer service and the right bag for the right limitations.

I sometimes get customers in here who bought a bargain bag online but in the wrong size. They come to me to exchange it. Guess what...
    Send it back to the online store you bought it from is what I have to tell them... Wiggy's, Inc. and Wiggy's-Alaska are two different companies with two different owners. I support and highly recommend the Wiggy line of clothing and sleeping bags, but I'm an independent store providing great customer service in the Greatland.

You were urged to seek my service for the right reason and still got a great bag for a great price. I've sold over 20 bags already this week, and most knew that they were available online at a lesser price.

Thanks for suporting the "local guy". I won't let you down.

Taylor

There's something to be said about supporting the local guy/store. I do so every chance I get.