Thread: Juneau Halibut

Default Juneau Halibut

Anybody have any good advice on the Halibut anywhere around Juneau? Where and at what debth is working right now?

Quote Originally Posted by krustydklawn View Post
    Anybody have any good advice on the Halibut anywhere around Juneau? Where and at what debth is working right now?
    I lived there for 15 years. Did catch some decent fish around town over the years, Benjamin Island, ocassional out at Hump and sometimes Youngs bay was good ~ on hook one night I caught a 170lb halibut in 30 feet of water around the admiralty cove area of youngs bay. Little Island is worth a poke as well and a drift is to bounce your bait in a drift along the eastern side of north pass (watch out for the whales) BUT, whenever I really wanted to fish halibut it was always a trip to Icy straits or even better cross sound. Pleasant Island can be really good and of course those charter guys fish the holy hell out of that Sisters hump. Hanus reef can be good to and some good places around homeshore that don't get hit two often. My favorite trip in Juneau was the long run down to the brothers or five fingers where fredrick sound and stephens passage meet. Some kick'n good fishing but watch out for the weather. Hope this helps.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

tlingitwarrior...You sure posted an informative, inclusive response. Good one.

Serviced aids to navigation is southeast for 10 years best times was in these areas, save up money and head to five finger and south side of brothers caught 3 at brother from 150 to 225 in one tide change and five finger is loaded on good days.

Krusty,

I'm curious what kind of boat you're running. There are plenty of little places you can drop a line and pick up one or two halibut. For hot spots you'll have to run aways.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    tlingitwarrior...You sure posted an informative, inclusive response. Good one.
    Thanks! I dont live there anymore so i dont mind giving away all the fishing holes

Quote Originally Posted by thayer the slayer View Post
    Serviced aids to navigation is southeast for 10 years best times was in these areas, save up money and head to five finger and south side of brothers caught 3 at brother from 150 to 225 in one tide change and five finger is loaded on good days.
    Learned a very valuable lesson about my boat one day at Five Finger. Took 3 buddies for day, we all limited on halibut, with smallest around 80 and couple over 200. We had so much weight I couldn't get on step. 10 hours of crusing back at 7 knots, the guys ran out of beer 1/4 way through the trip and i just about had mutiny.

Plenty of good buttholes in lower Stephens Passage w/o having to run that far. That's something like a 80-85 mile run. Good thing is you can get free ice on the way down.

Holkham, Pt. Hugh, Midway, just to name a few.

I had my main engine go up in smoke a few years back. I think it was 7 hrs on the putt-putt. No fun at all.

Awesome info. Anybody know of any specific place that is producing a lot of halibut right now. Looking for consistancy rather than trophy.
    I am trying everything I can to move to Alaska and am putting together a log of where and when the fishing is on. Trying to get some ideas on trends (something I've done for years with other places I fish). With any luck, I'll be able to NOT be asking this same question next August cause I'll already know.
    Just came back from Juneau in July and am actively applying for jobs there now. Fed employee trying to find an equal slot there.

The hump north of the Sisters, aka "everybody's secret spot", usually offers a good steady pick on 10# - 30# fish. Two of us caught 3 halibut in an hour when we stopped there a couple of weeks ago. Expect good fishing at this spot, but not easy fishing. It is deep (~250 - 400), is sometimes overrun with arrowtooth flounder, and is out in the middle of the channel. There are combinations of wind and current that make it hard or impossible to fish. I often make a quick stop there on my way west for one drift so I can catch a halibut for dinner.

Big_E

Here's a solid reference put out by ADF&G.

Called Salmon Holes and Halibut Hills - a Sportfishing Atlas of Southeast Alaska.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../veryclever-20

51vbh9XEpHL._SS350_.jpg

Unfortunately, my information is a bit dated. I grew up in Juneau and spent many summers back there after leaving. I was just up there fishing halibut in June and did quite well.

At the end of June, we found a bunch at Vanderbilt reef. We anchored on the Shelter Island side in depths ranging from 150 feet to 350 feet, timing our trips 2 hours plus and minus the low water slack. 150 to 250 feet, we were really in the chickens. When we moved out to about 300 to 350 feet of water, we got into bigger butts. Most were 15 to 30 pounds, but we were landing one every two hours or so. The largest was a 59 inch halibut that the table said should have been about 100 pounds. I was using Saltwater Gulp, 6 inch "White Glow" Saltwater grub on an 8 ounce jig head and a green label herring. It worked great in the chickens. I couldn't keep the **** things off. The bigger ones were caught on a large green hootchie with a herring and a few drops of herring oil in the scent barrel.

While much less consistent, I've spent a lot of time fishing halibut in the North Pass. Normally we fish salmon out there in August for the silver run. One day when I was a teen, I dropped a "regular" sized hootchie with a herring down to the bottom with a down rigger and to my surprise I began pulling halibut up. With two of us, we had one line down for halibut and 1 for salmon. I've never caught any chickens there that I can recall. I think everyone I caught was 20 pounds + with most in the 50 pound range (my largest being about 125 pounds). I would usually catch one every tide or two. We would usually anchor up by Shelter Island in 60 to 90 feet of water, roughly halfway between the north side of the island and Handtroller's cove. It is not the most productive area, but it is a great place if one person wants salmon and the other wants halibut.

Favorite reef on the Southside of Shelter used to be a favorite spot, but to be honest, I haven't fished out there in a decade.

Others have mentioned some good spots as well. I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Here's a solid reference put out by ADF&G.

Called Salmon Holes and Halibut Hills - a Sportfishing Atlas of Southeast Alaska.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../veryclever-20

51vbh9XEpHL._SS350_.jpg

Curiosity got the best of me... found the publication at the ADF&G office here in Juneau. I may have cleaned out the supply on the Juneau side however, they indicated that there should be more at the Douglas office. They're running $10.00 each and are a pretty large format.