Thread: Twins 50's on a 19'?

Default Twins 50's on a 19'?

Can someone help me out with this? If I were to buy another Yamaha 50 to bolt beside the one I have on my 19' Searunner, would it need to be counter-rotating? Thanks for help.

Default yes, I hear

From what I read, counter-rotating is "the way" to go. Will your boat take all that weight on the transom? Will be interesting to hear what others say. Good question.

First question is do they make a counter-rotating 50? I'm not an expert in this but I would think that a 50hp motor doesn't put out enough torque to warrant this on a twin settup.

It would probably be easier and cheaper to sell your 50 and replace it with a bigger motor. Adding dual controls and moving your original motor over seems like more work than switching out to a bigger motor.
    Tennessee

Default not possible

i bought two for my 22' boat. don't make a counter rotator till you get to 115 i think. does not affect stearing much. when running full speed in my boat and trimmed up nice it drives it self as striaght as an arrow. i bought my steering from dewies also. they have a very nice system they sell. stears like a dream. no need for hydrolic stearing like i was told. Wasn't to badly priced either. i run 15 pitch by 13 5/8 inch prop. i have the T-50's though. runs very good and pretty fast, can hit 35mph on a good day, but usually run at 30mph which is @5100rpm and get 4 miles to a gallon like that. cheap to run. about 5-7 gallons an hour. each motor is supposed use 3.5 gallons wide open. i just keep track of miles per gallon.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 02-03-2007 at 20:11. Reason: changed some info

Thumbs up laker

throw a 150 hp on they and that will get you across skilak(sp) lake-specially if you got a load on

I wouldn't think you'd really need counter rotating props as I've driven a tiller 90hp without any trouble. If you're worried about it simply have a hydraulic steering setup put on the boat when you get the new motor and don't look back!!

Put a 115 on it. It would probably be lighter than twin 50s and better performing.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

Default Nope

Short answer is no.
    If you were even able to get counter rotating, you would need 6 spare props (8 total) to do it right. Two of each rotation, and 2 high pitch (for running both motors), and 2 low pitch (for running single power) for each motor. Yet another reason to use only single big power, with a kicker to keep you out of trouble.
    If these are detuned 50's for running the Kenai, you would still need a minimum total of 4 props (2 high and 2 low pitch) to get what you need out of the motor(s). You would then a have a spare for the river as you would only run one motor, but no properly-pitched spares for the big water when running both.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Thanks for all the help, after posting the question I found a good deal on a 115 also. Still trying to decide what to do. hunt0601 why dont you just move up here and buy this boat, then I'll get a bigger one!