Thread: Dirty net?

Default Dirty net?

Last weekend my uncle and I went to south Kenai. It was slow. We slid our nets in and within 10 minutes we both had a fish. The 2 guys on either side hadn't caught anything for over an hour. After that we didn't catch for a long time either.

I've experienced this before. Catch a fish straight off (to the cursings from other dippers that have been shivering next to you) then nothing for a long time.

I wonder if the flotsam that collects on a net after its been in the water for a while deters the fish?

I think it is possible that it does if the water clears off enough for them to see. When I went down to Kenai last it was pretty muddy water. So I don't know.

It has been MANY years since I dipped the kenai but I have read lots of reports that dark colored nets won't work there. So it is possible that some crud on the webbing would have the same effect. Interesting theory, next step is to come up with an experiment to test it then review your findings and present your hypothesis.

Hmmm...

I'd have to have 2 dippers and 10 clean nets standing by. Dipper A in the water with just one net and every time he goes back in with the same net. Dipper B takes a new net every time he goes back. Now I just need a spare $1600 for the 10 nets.

Donations anyone?

10 nets? why don't you have someone clean the nets after each fish, so unless fishing is really hot you only need 3 nets.

reevaluating the plan.... Man it is cool to see the scientific process in action!

Maybe you need to soak your nets in Berkley power strike ;-)

Let me know when you do this. I will gladly peer review your findings and give final publishing reviews at no extra charge.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    10 nets? why don't you have someone clean the nets after each fish, so unless fishing is really hot you only need 3 nets.
    Nope, would take too long. Hard to pick the little pieces of weed out. Best method I've seen is have a fish shake it out or have it blow around in the back of a pick up. Still not 100%.

Has to be good control, hence a fresh clean net every time.

PM me for donations.

Dirty net? Clean it with orbitz...

I hadn't heard of the dark/dirty net thing before. Very interesting...

Default clean and clear net

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Nope, would take too long. Hard to pick the little pieces of weed out.
    It does take too long. But some times there is no other choice.

If the water is clear then you're better off spending an hour cleaning your net than an hour getting your net even dirtier and getting no or limited fish. And don't even think about using anything but a clear (not colored) net bag.

Especially during low tides in areas with high flow-by currents you can get lots of crap in your net quickly.

On the other hand, if you're dipping in the muddy sections of Fish Creek, don't bother cleaning your net; it'll still catch just fine.