Thread: Jims Creek - Rainbow, Dolly, or Grayling?

Default Jims Creek - Rainbow, Dolly, or Grayling?

I'm taking a family member out to Jim's Creek tonight at his request - Not much into salmon fishing and so am taking the 5 wt to see what else is in the water... Should I even bother? Is there any Trout, Grayling, or Dolly's in there?

I've never heard the words Trout and Jims Creek used in the same sentence before, but I've done a few internet searches on 'trout jims creek', etc, and nothing has come up.

Thanks for any input!

they do have some nice dollies down around the mouth and lower part of jims...........I have never tried to fish for them but I have seen a few.

the only fish in jims besides salmon are dollies, most of wich tend to run pretty small.

go explore... worst that happens is you get skunked
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've only been out there a few times but I've seen small dollies caught on cured roe.

I'm sure by now you're actually there or on your way back, but why didn't you look for a good trout fishery with so many of them in the area? (not the jim creek area, just the valley in general)

You have a better chance of spotting big foot than catching a trout or grayling in Jim Creek. There are dollies but don't expect any of size unless you know where they hole up. I did catch a small trout near the Knik/Mat confluence years ago, never seen one near Jim creek though.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    go explore... worst that happens is you get skunked
    Are you kidding me??
    Thanks for the advice Ranger Joe. I never thought of that.

To the rest of you however, I genuinely thank you for your input... I had fished there once before but generally try to stay away from the area.
    My out of town relative fished for silvers there tonight and got skunked - lots of fish in the water, but they were ignoring everything thrown at them... I drug some flesh and egg patterns, as well as some leaches and buggers around, but didn't get any takers. I think I'll keep to 'exploring' my usual stomping grounds up north