Thread: "Remote" Fishing Near Airports?...

Default "Remote" Fishing Near Airports?...

Hey Guys, I know this has been addressed in previous posts before with differing levels of detail for different places at different times, but here's what I'm looking for:

I've got an uncle coming up from down south who's always wanted to fish Alaska. I'm in charge of giving him a week of solid fishing - would like to do a couple days in Western Alaska and not super picky on what we fish for.
    Any advice is appreciated... the main requirement is a minimum 2000ft gravel maintained runway(no bush landings).
    What fish are running at or near village airports, where?
    I know Iliamna and Igiugig have the Sockeye run in July right near the airports... Is that still active? Other locations to get Salmon?? Any small airports near lakes to get trout or grayling?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by ChugachPeaks View Post
    Hey Guys, I know this has been addressed in previous posts before with differing levels of detail for different places at different times, but here's what I'm looking for:

I've got an uncle coming up from down south who's always wanted to fish Alaska. I'm in charge of giving him a week of solid fishing - would like to do a couple days in Western Alaska and not super picky on what we fish for.
    Any advice is appreciated... the main requirement is a minimum 2000ft gravel maintained runway(no bush landings).
    What fish are running at or near village airports, where?
    I know Iliamna and Igiugig have the Sockeye run in July right near the airports... Is that still active? Other locations to get Salmon?? Any small airports near lakes to get trout or grayling?

Thanks in advance
    I may be able to help. Catch me with an e-mail to mm1235pm@att.net.

Mort

146 views... anyone else have any other thoughts besides Grizzly?? Even if it's just a quick one or two line response with airport names and available fish nearby.. heading out tuesday morning next week. I promise to any future posters with any of the (very small) expertise I might have to offer..

IE: Iliamna/NewHalen River/Salmon..

Thanks again..

Quinhagak. I've caught silvers right next to the runway and I'm the worlds worst fisherman...Louis
    Louis Knapp

You can fish for Kings with in easy walking distance from the airport in Seldovia.

Thumbs up

Thanks Louis and Mac.. totally forgot about Seldovia.. saw some folks pulling in huge kings last time I was there.. practically at the end of the runway by the bridge.

Seldova is a good bet.
    Nanawalek is good if you can pay off somebody at the general store to take you down the trail to their first lake.
    Although remote and airport are somewhat of an oxymoron.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Floatpilot.. thanks for that.. weather sucks this week anyway for flying.. will try again soon.

That's why I put "Remote" in quotes - anything off the road system is remote for someone from Colorado who has never been here and doesn't know the place yet. I'm a new pilot and not looking to go anywhere off-airport just yet.. so gravel runways in western Alaska are remote to me also, at this point!

Another spot often overlooked is the Quartz Creek runway.
    It is within walking distance of Kenai lake and it is within 150 yards of the Sunrise Cafe.
    It is rather difficult to force oneself to divulge super secret fishing spots.

A 3-4 years ago I told somebody about my super secret hunting spot. The next thing I know the guy is hauling all sorts of people there and it almost turned into a gunfight when some jerk told me to leave or somebody might get shot.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I recently fished King Salmon Creek on my way back from the commercial fishing season. Not sure of the regs so you'll have to look into it but it was filled with nice size dollys. The mosquitos and no-see-ems were biting just as hard so bring bug spray and most of the trails along the creek looked like they were used more by bears than people. Probably a 15 minute drive from King Salmon Airport. I heard Naknek Lake had some good fishing too. I didn't get to make it out there so I don't know exactly how far it is from Airport.