Thread: Can't find Federal Large Rifle Primers, best substitute??

Default Can't find Federal Large Rifle Primers, best substitute??

I load for my .270, .30-06 and 30-30, using H4350 and Varget. Been using Federal 210 Large Rifle Primers but I can't find them anywhere. I can get Winchester or CCI. Is one a better substitute than the other? None of the loads I use are close to max so I'm not too concerned about pressures but I would like to use the primer that is closest to the Federals so I don't need to start from scratch on new loads.

Thanks,
    Mike

I haven't bought any of them in a long time, so take this "under advisement." But I always had better luck with CCI than Winchester. A few years back testing my own loads let me move from CCI to Federal with no change in charges, but that was then and this is now. I'd try the CCI first, but even with your loads below max, I'd still do some testing to determine optimum loads for your guns.

Give Allan at Northland Guns a call. He's had a good stock of primers lately. He is in the Valley and his phone number is 357-2414.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

CCI 200 are as close to FED 210 as you will find. I've shot identical loads with FED 215 and CCI 250 and they were only 14fps apart. Several other references on the net say that the Winchesters are hotter than all others, I have not tested them.

SW has tons of Federals on the shelf.
    Tennessee

While the cci magnum primers may be similar to the federal mag primers, the CCI 200's are one of the mildest primers out there. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but as with any reloading component, expect to do some load work when changing primers or bullets.

I did do some primer testing years back when I was working up a cast bullet load in my 350 rigby. I'd gotten stell accuracy with the cci 200's, but when the temps dropped, I'd get hangfires. Hard to shoot accurately when you pull the trigger and here click, pause, boom. So I tried the same load with cci 200's and 250's, fed 210's and 215's. Only the cci 200's would handfire. Unfortunately the bullets didn't group nearly as well with the hotter primers.

But, with full patch jacketed loads, Fed 210's have been my primer for choice, and I would make the effort to find them.

I've never had an issue with the CCI's, but I had ES and SD issues with Feds and Win's. I get my most accurate ammo when CCI's are pressed into the primer pocket. It doesn't matter, magnum, large rifle, and small rifle. It's all I shoot now and I've never had a hang fire with multiple thousands of rounds down range.

I was in Tactical something in Wasilla the other day. He had a very nice selection of primers and powders. Prices were a bit better than SW (seems about $1 per # on powder and $2 per K on primers). I'd already bought what I wanted, so wasn't paying real close attention. Nice guy.

Just found his card: Mat-Su Tactical, 4900 E Palmer-Wasilla Hwy, (907) 357-3381