Thread: Powell Fly Rods?

Default Powell Fly Rods?

Can anyone give me feedback on Powell fly rods (specifically the advantage XL)? The've got a 4-piece for sale in Sierra Trading Post for $130, plus an extra 20% off (it's usually $200). Looking to get my wife her first fly rod. We don't need anything spectacular, but want something decent. I love my St. Croix, but hey...I'm a sucker for a deal.

-Brian

Nothing? I need to order this rod in the next few days to get the extra 20%, so I'm hoping to find someone who has used Powell rods. Thanks!

-Brian

Not familiar with that model, but can tell you that Powells in general are top notch. Not as well known as Sage or Lumis, but right up there in quality. I'd say they are more along the lines of Winston in volume of sales, but I prefer the feel of their blank to the Winston or Lumis. They're generally regarded more highly than your St. Croix, so you shouldn't have any worries. That is, unless your wife refuses to share!

Yeah, I was concerned that it might end up being better than mine. Hmmm...there's gotta be a way around this.

Thanks for the tip, BrownBear.

-Brian