Thread: wax boxes

Default wax boxes

Do they really work for transporting fish back to the lower 48 or is it better to just ship via fedex? Also, does Anchorage airport have freezers to keep your fish in until your flight departs? Thanks

I just returned to Phoenix from Anchorage with a 100 lbs of Reds and I used two wax boxes. Just make sure that you freeze your fish prior to boxing them. Also duct tape the seams liberally and seal every gap. Wrap the box a couple of times all the way around for insurance. Our fish thawed just a touch, but they were still mostly frozen and safe for the freezer! I tried FedEx once and found it to be way expensive vs. checking fish boxes at the ticket counter.

Hope this helps and hope you have plenty of boxes to fill! Tight lines to ya!!!

Your margin for error is thin with wax boxes- if they get hung up and sit on an airport ramp for 24 hours somewhere along the way, you're scrawed. Rather than waxed, we use the ones with styrofoam liners. Fill to weight limit with frozen fish, seal the inner styro box with tape, then seal the outer box. We sent friends home to Florida with two of them. They arrived more than 24 hours later with no thawing whatsoever. Cost about 50 percent more than waxed boxes and worth every penny.

Brownbear: can I buy those type boxes up there? Also, we will be fishing the kenai and seward the first half of our trip then north of Achorage that last couple of days. Is there a place in anchorage to store our fish until we leave or will the airport allow us to use their freezers? Thank you both for the good info.

You can buy them up here at Safeway or Walmart. Also the airport here does have freezers to use for a small fee. JohnSWA missed his flight and used the airport freezer for about 36 hours and I think it was 26 bucks. You might want to shoot John a pm. The airport will store them while you move around too it is just a few more bucks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    I just returned to Phoenix from Anchorage with a 100 lbs of Reds
    Holy shet

$1300 bar tab, Bush Co, and you still found time to catch fish?

I will regret missing this trip for a long time

11.5 months to be exact.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

He had some help Im not saying anything else

I am shocked to hear that
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by 9point View Post
    Brownbear: can I buy those type boxes up there? Also, we will be fishing the kenai and seward the first half of our trip then north of Achorage that last couple of days. Is there a place in anchorage to store our fish until we leave or will the airport allow us to use their freezers? Thank you both for the good info.
    I haven't used the freezer service in Anchorage, but understand it's there. The styro boxes are pretty generally available. Take good care of them once you get home, then next year pack your clothing and gear into them along with a soft duffle. When it's time to go home next year, move all your stuff into the soft duffles and use the boxes to ship the next batch of fish. They're pretty durable.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Holy shet

$1300 bar tab, Bush Co, and you still found time to catch fish?

I will regret missing this trip for a long time

11.5 months to be exact.

-Dan
    You two did miss an epic trip for sure. We will all have new stories come september though. That moterhome John rented was the freaking Taj Ma Hall. Holy crap it was huge. Did get wendy on a bluebird day in the boat. We did slay some reds that day.

Ok back to original meaning of this thread. Good info Brownbear

Hi Guys,

I just got back from Wasilla yesterday. As mentioned the boxes with styrofoam inside are available everywhere and cost about $10.

I had my fish frozen at Mat Valley Meats, and then packed them in the styro box with two gel packs.

Left my cabin at 7:00am, and got home 12 hours later. The fish were still frozen solid.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Gel packs are a total waste of money. they are money makers for the shippers. I used the styro lined cardboard boxes. We picked up out fish on saturday about noon and got home on sunday about 11pm. All my fish were rock solid when i got home. 36hrs and not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Gel packs are a total waste of money. they are money makers for the shippers...
    They're only $1.29 each so I don't feel too bad putting a couple of them in with the fish
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com