Thread: ok ok me too...DS139 late sept.

Default ok ok me too...DS139 late sept.

never been back in 14C that late in the season, any tips or pointers, don't really need a location, just pointers on activity, spread out, skitish, trails that are good for access. anyone been on pioneer peak that time of year? ship lake? peters creek? any details would help alot.
    if anyone has road system goats shoot me a PM i guide there and might be able to help you with some ideas.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default me too, well not exactly

Hey Brnbr,

My Dad drew that tag too. I'm trying to remember if there's typically much snow up there in late Sept. I've been up pioneer and towards twin peaks but not that late. I'm hoping some with experience chime in on this thread.

There usually has been some snowfall, but it comes and melts. There shouldn't be solid snow unless its a really cold fall, but there will likely be patches and it will definitely be below freezing at night above 2,500 feet or so. I spent a really, really cold night at 3,000 feet after losing my tent and sleeping bags in a storm one year while doing the hunt right before this season. We found the tent before dark, but not the sleeping bags. I think my mother and I haven't cuddled that tightly together since I was an infant! Anyhow, be prepared for some chilly weather, but it can also get up into the 50s or higher on a nice day.

-Brian

Talking Got lucky myself...

Got lucky myself and drew this area as well - really did not expect to get a sheep tag. As a non-res I'm now looking for a guide - anyone have any suggestions in this area?

Default It can snow

I pulled a ram off of the Twin Peaks after a solo hunt a few years ago. I hiked up on a beautiful day, not a hint of snow on the ground nor in the sky. I awoke to more than 2 feet of the stuff and more falling.
    By the time I came off of the mountain I was pushing snow up to my thighs.
    Actually, it was the snow that may have saved me some grief. I had just bagged all of the meat and had it laid on the only bush around my tent. I was wet, cold and hungry so I sat on my butt next to the tent. Across the steep gully I saw that something had waded thru the snow. I checked it out and saw fresh brown bear tracks. This is within 20 yards of my camp. I was covered with blood and was totally not expecting a bear issue.
    I packed everything except the cape onto my back and headed down the mtn. Dark thirty found me in an alder nightmare so I rolled up against a fallen tree and made good. In the morning I went back after the cape and it was gone. The bear had eaten 20 square yards of bloody snow and took the cape for a winter blanket. Glad I missed that happening.

PM me if you want more info on the way I went up. You don't want to know the trail I took down!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default DS 139 Guide

Give Lance Kronberger of Freelance Outdoor Adventures a call. He is a fantastic guide and you won't be disappointed. People say that it's never too early to start training for a sheep hunt and they're right. Contact info is on his website.

Alpine

Hunted it last year PM me if you want info.

Default 14c late sheep

One year went up into Carpenter Creek in mid Sept with one of the sons for a second sheep hunt with temps prob in the 50's. It started raining the evening of the 3rd day and awoke to 2+ feet of snow. It mostly melted off over the next 48 hr. The sheep back there do some interesting things with the first big snowfall of the year. Bottom line be prepared for some of the white stuff at altitude....and good luck, 14c has some awesome genes.

Man theres a few places in 14C that ajust give me the willies when you've got a gut pile laying around. Probly 10 years ago I was way back in Peters Creek on horseback, not a sign of bear to be seen until the horses starting acting really wierd, and when you have horses you "know" the bear wierdness they get, anyways one of the horses took a branch to the breastplate and swung around, kicked my dad right on the inside of the ankle and busted a hole in him pretty good. This was a well season tough pack horse mind you.. he was bleedin pretty good, horses going nuts, we turned around and headed back out only to find some big brownie tracks covering the shoe prints in the soft mud that we had just made ...so we were being hunted and never saw a thing.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Lightbulb late hunt

I drew that unit, that hunt last year. like b.m. said, it does get cold. i was out for 3 weeks + in that area and the change in weather and conditions was obvious on film.

you should bring, warm clothes (read heavy parka and overpants), over whites, crampons, gaitors, sunglasses and a walking stick or ice axe. very windy above 2,200 ft. brrrrrrrrrrrr.

good luck.

i'll probably only be out for three days at the most, my guide schedule don't permit me to be gone much longer, i would have to draw my third choice, my first and second i had more time. i've done two one day ewe hunts on the poioneer twin peaks area and see really good rams on both trips that i coulda shot but they were earlier in the season, one was earlier and one was oct. it seemed by oct most of the rams near twin peak were in the closed area and looking bigger than ever...stinkers.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Drew DS139 late Sept. Any info and access would be greatly appreciated.

Default in and out

fellas;

as mentioned above. i drew that same unit and hunt last year.

there are 2 ways in/out that i used or know of. one way involves getting a permit from the fort richardson m.p.'s and crossing the military base and basically up and over near pioneer peak. i don't know exactly where the trail is but the road ended with a barrier across the road blocking access to a bridge. ask the m.p.'s where this is. there was a parking lot to the left hand side of the bridge. you walk over the bridge and up the dirt raod for about one mile then on the right side you will see a chain link fence and the trail starts there. 1 1/2 hrs. up this trail, which will be going uphill you should pass a military recreational cabin that was burned down. hope that helps, it was muddy at points. that was the way we went in.

coming out, we came out in a ritzy suburb of anchorage with million dollar homes overlooking the valley. this was a popular hiking trail from this neighborhood as we saw day hikers along the way. last year over a period of months a cyclone fence was installed as the parking area where the trail started.

hope that helps, sorry i could not be more precise.