Thread: Mayday in PWS today

Default Mayday in PWS today

Does anyone know what happened to the 28 Bayliner near Perry Island today? I was near Smith today when I heard the mayday saying their motor died and they were taking on water. We pulled anchor and headed that way, but by the time we got close, a charter boat got to them and helped pump water and then tow them back. It was really nice to hear all the people announce they were coming to the rescue. There were boats coming from all directions to help out. Hope everything ended well.

I talked to one of the people onboard, and first thing mentioned was how wonderful the response was to their call for help. They are greatful. Apparently a motor bearing went out and somehow blew out the seal around the outdrive. That's all that I know.
    Afflicted by condition human

Wow, I just had to replace the driveshaft center carrier bearing located in the bellhousing. It had completely came aprt, I could see where if it was to completely let go the gimble u-joint assembly could flop out of control and bust bellhousing up real bad. And thats where the donuts are between the outdrive and engine are compressed in at. I was glad I shut it down once there was a problem. Outdrive removed.jpg( vibration) That center piece here is the end of the bellhousing and the ring with the bolts is what compress the rubber donuts.

Maybe I misunderstood which bearing gave out, the pic from alaskapiranha above sure looks like it might explain things! I've always had and have been around outboards, so don't really have a clue about outdrives.
    Afflicted by condition human

My brother and father were out and heard the whole thing as well. The folks on the Eye of the Storm (a charter vessel - Prince William Sound Eco-Charters, I think?) had pumps and helped them keep the boat afloat while they towed them all the way back to port. A very stand-up thing to do.