Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: managing to stay within goals

  1. #1
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,368

    Default managing to stay within goals

    I'm wondering what people's views are on this. In 2008 a proposal passed that directs the Department of Fish and Game to manage to stay within goals. How does this work as applied to Fish Creek? Dipnetting opened, and was a huge success. But now August 1 is past, and it is closed to all fishing until Aug 14, when 2 12 hour periods per weekend will be allowed, for sportfishing. The top end goal for sockeye is exceeded, and over 15,000 fish passed the weir the first two days the creek was closed.

    So what does the department have to do, to remain in compliance with the directive to remain within goals? As long as management actions take place within the creek, trying to harvest excess reds will not affect "not meeting the minimum escapement goals in other systems," so is it ok for the Department to sit on their hands and do nothing for the next 11 days?

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    It seems like allowing dipnetting to continue much past August 1st would increase the incidental take of coho by an increasing amount. I know that I got two on July 27 in just over an hour of dipping, so I'm sure that by now that number would be increasing. If there is any sort of conservation concern for coho on Fish Creek, that might be an issue. Allowing sport fishing of sockeye would seem to be a good option, though.

  3. #3

    Default

    My guess is that the personal use season was set up to harvest sockeye, not coho and that coho salmon is allocated to the sport user, not to the personal use fishery. Isn't that why F&G required the release of coho last year when they went into August, to avoid an allocative action? I think they saw the effect on coho when they fished into August last year. If it was just about staying within an escapement goal then I guess the dipnet fishery on the Kenai could also be extended into August.

  4. #4

    Default

    That creek is filled with Rainbows and Dollies. If they start letting people in there with rods and reels they will catch them. They learned this lesson from allowing fishing for "reds" on the Russian. Too many guys slip an ESL on the tippet and whamo. Plus the access is simply too easy. All these factors mandate the Prohibition of Fishing, if you subscribe to the notion of Conservation. Most folks turn their attention to honey do's and hunting preparation by mid-August and don't have the time to fish. Only the single guys and the guys that don't know how to hunt, fish this late, so there are too few to be concerned about public outcry and backlash. It is purposefully and carefully orchestrated and not by coincidence or ignorance on the part of F&G.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    I'd agree with both Brian and Comm on this one. I've had the conversation with fish and game, and it is written into the management plan to end dipnetting August 1 to protect silvers. This should not be reason to keep it closed to all sport fishing, though, in the area that opens to dipnetting. Apparently the department agrees, as the department just released an EO that will open Fish Creek to fishing this weekend, a weekend early, for 3 coho instead of 2. This applies to ALL Knik drainages, with the exception of Little Su and Jim Creek. I'd be there bright and early Saturday, but have to fish the Parks instead.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    the department just released an EO that will open Fish Creek to fishing this weekend, a weekend early, for 3 coho instead of 2. This applies to ALL Knik drainages, with the exception of Little Su and Jim Creek.
    Now this is great news. Maybe the changes in leadership have begun to take roots and foster a new relationship with the citizens. Wonderful Stuff.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Now this is great news. Maybe the changes in leadership have begun to take roots and foster a new relationship with the citizens. Wonderful Stuff.
    What changes in leadership? I'm not aware of anything recent.

  8. #8
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Now this is great news. Maybe the changes in leadership have begun to take roots and foster a new relationship with the citizens. Wonderful Stuff.
    Akres, you're amazing! I didn't know you were talking about the future.

    http://www.adn.com/2010/08/08/140119...-arrested.html

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Akres, you're amazing! I didn't know you were talking about the future.

    http://www.adn.com/2010/08/08/140119...-arrested.html
    Thank You! Thank You Very Much! Mr. Fish.
    In the preceeding months there have been several internal shifts relating to whom writes the performance evalutions for the others. I predicted long ago, in other threads of how Mr. Rossi was destined for greater things. One's destiny cannot be denied nor avoided.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10
    Member salmon_bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    260

    Default

    You mean the commissioner is no better then the general public? nooooooooo

    I bet he only had 2 drinks
    Isn't the most popular answer people give when asked "how much have you had to drink?"

    In reality, I hope he does not get special treatment due to who he is.
    Drunk Driving is not only dangerous, it is downright stupid!
    Eventually you will get caught......

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •