Thread: McKinley Princess Lodge

Default McKinley Princess Lodge

My wife and I are spending this coming weekend up at the McKinley Princess Lodge. We're thinking about bringing the wheelers if there's any decent riding in the general vicinity. I'm assuming we won't be able to ride from the lodge, so I don't mind driving a bit in either direction to find some good trails. Anyone know of any? Our backup plan is to head to Petersville but I'd like to explore some new areas if possible.

...and I apologize for not knowing any specific land marks, mile posts, secret handshakes, etc. Just hoping some of you will be willing to share your knowledge regardless.

Sorry I can't help you there martin, but I do know there are some snowmachine trails up in that area (I'm not sure they wheelerable). I would try diggin through some of the old threads on here and see if there is anything on that area. I don't think you need a secret handshake or the color of the spots half way up on the bark of the second pine tree from the top of the hill at mile 4.325 to get information (at least you shouldn't). Most folks are pretty good about giving information about areas they are familiar with (at least I am), provided you aren't asking where the state lake trout record is or where the legal bull they have their eye on is. We are all Alaskans and we have the best state in the Union with miles and miles of trails that lead into some very spectacular places. It is helpful to know a little about an area before you go get your tires muddy. Some of these folks that want to keep everything a big secret need to get out on the weekends and enjoy it instead of ranting about how people need to stop asking for general information about an area, at least IMO.

No place there you have to drive south to Petersville road
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Petersville is probably the best closest place to ride. There are snowmobile trails in the area but they are either used to get to peoples cabins/homes or they are inpassable by ATV's. There are a few gravel pits scattered along the PH that might afford some riding but nothing spectacular. When you get to Broad Pass there are some trails, probably on Ahtna land so be aware.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like we'll make the run down to Petersville on Saturday.

Cantwell/Denali highway is a lot closer than Petersville to the lodge...

There are 100's of miles of atv trails leaving various points on the Denali Highway. You could be at them in less then an hour drive the the park. Good luck! You'll have a blast!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Cantwell/Denali highway is a lot closer than Petersville to the lodge...
    The McKinley lodge is only 15 miles away from petersville road. You might be thinking of the Denali Princess lodge.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!