Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting on the kenai

Default Sheep hunting on the kenai

Im planning a sheep hunt In the Mills creek area east of Summit Lake and then another one possibly back in the devils creek trail area. I've never hunted either or heard too much about either area does anyone know anything about either areas and if there is much for sheep???

Interesting "First" Post.........? How large of a Sheep were you looking to harvest.......?

The Mills Creek area is a pretty coveted goat tag (DG334). Typically, areas with a lot of goats don't have a lot of sheep. Goats and sheep each have their own niches as far as habitat, on top of which goats are pretty good at outcompeting sheep. So I wouldn't expect to see a lot of sheep in there. That said, I've never gone looking for sheep myself in there, so you never know. Only one way to find out. Might find a little honey hole back there.

I'm sure you're aware that a portion of the area to the west of the Devils Creek trail is in the Cooper Landing Closed Area. Make sure you know where you're at and what the boundaries are (page 53). There are bound to be a few sheep around back there, though, if you put in your time and cover some country. I have a friend who was jogging the res trail a few years back - he heard a gunshot and looked up on the mountain to see a ram tumbling down.

I wouldn't expect to kill a monster ram (although I'm sure there's a few about in the nastiest of places). Rams on the Kenai typically have a short life expectancy once they become legal.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I was thinking about doing a unit 7 sheep hunt the first week of september- not sure where, exactly. I've hiked a bit in this unit but not hunted. If you want to team up, PM me.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Your best bet is from Palmer Creek Road, out of Hope. I just flew over that area and saw 8, count-em 8 decent rams just south of the end of Palmer Creek Road.

Taylor

Obviously, I'm joking. If you don't have a drawing tag for the Kenai, you're basically gonna be taking your rifle for a walk on the Kenai and that's about it.

Been there. Done that. Along with just about everyone else on this board.

Taylor

So nobody takes anything with a harvest ticket on k-pen eh?

Quote Originally Posted by otterpants747 View Post
    So nobody takes anything with a harvest ticket on k-pen eh?
    It happens... but not all that often... harvest stats for 2009: 62 unsuccessful, 5 successful

Can't wait to go on my first walk.

Took my first ram in a harvest area on the Kenai in 2002. Was actually bird hunting at the time and brought along the rifle "just in case." Been hooked on sheep hunting since. The further you walk, the better your chances imo.

Quote Originally Posted by BDOW View Post
    It happens... but not all that often... harvest stats for 2009: 62 unsuccessful, 5 successful
    Is that really true that only 5 legal rams were reported killed during the general harvest season on Kenai last year? If so, that's not good at all. I was driving back from a dipping session on the Kasilof this year and was checking out the hills and mtns on the way back, just wondering how many dozens of rams were killed on opening day! I guess not many.

Quote Originally Posted by BDOW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    only 5 legal rams were reported killed
    Does anyone know.. if illegal rams get reported as unsuccessful or successful?? I haven't really looked into it, this question just popped in my head.

I know last year during my DC608 hunt, the troopers landed their R44 and checked my tag and we chatted a bit. They mentioned a huge problem with illegal rams being taken, saying that 4 sub legal rams had already been harvested.

For every white body visible from a road, there are 10 white-trash slob poachers willing to take the chance that they won't get caught. Too lazy to build a hunt after legal rams or billies, I guess. They'd rather shoot a ram and never be able to speak of it again. I just don't get it, but it even happens on Turnagain arm!

Is it you and you don't appreciate being called white trash poacher? Approach me personally about it and I'll make you feel even worse!

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Does anyone know.. if illegal rams get reported as unsuccessful or successful?? I haven't really looked into it, this question just popped in my head.

I know last year during my DC608 hunt, the troopers landed their R44 and checked my tag and we chatted a bit. They mentioned a huge problem with illegal rams being taken, saying that 4 sub legal rams had already been harvested.
    That's an interesting question, icb12... I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

Actually, it looks like ADF&G reports 8 rams being killed on the K pen. 5 rams out of GMU 7 and 3 more out of GMU 15 (2 in 15B and 1 in 15C).
    The rams were killed on:
    Aug 10 3x
    Aug 11
    Aug 13
    Aug 17
    Aug 24
    Sep 10

One 5-year old, three 7-year olds, two 8-year olds, and two 9-year olds.

Curious especially if the 5-year old was legal?? Horn length is reported as 3175, which I believe is 31.75" (correct me if I'm wrong???). Another ~31" in there, the rest between ~33 and ~36, with one just under 40! Not a lot of old rams in that bunch.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-05-2010 at 18:13.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    That's an interesting question, icb12... I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

Actually, it looks like ADF&G reports 8 rams being killed on the K pen. 5 rams out of GMU 7 and 3 more out of GMU 15 (2 in 15B and 1 in 15C).
    The rams were killed on:
    Aug 10 3x
    Aug 11
    Aug 13
    Aug 17
    Aug 24
    Sep 10

One 5-year old, three 7-year olds, two 8-year olds, and two 9-year olds.

Curious especially if the 5-year old was legal?? Horn length is reported as 3175, which I believe is 31.75" (correct me if I'm wrong???). Another ~31" in there, the rest between ~33 and ~36, with one just under 40! Not a lot of old rams in that bunch.

Thank you for posting the information.
    If I understand this tread correctly, post #12 indicates 4 sub-legal were harvested. With the number harvested sheep in this posting, it would seem that in a "best case scenario", assuming these eight sheep were all legal, 33 percent of sheep harvested were illegal.
    If that is the case, may well be time to consider some sort of mandatory certification before individuals can hunt sheep in some of these areas.
    At the very least it should impose an obligation on those posting information regarding sheep hunting to insure the information posted is accurate.
    Joe (Ak)
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-05-2010 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Is that really true that only 5 legal rams were reported killed during the general harvest season on Kenai last year? If so, that's not good at all. I was driving back from a dipping session on the Kasilof this year and was checking out the hills and mtns on the way back, just wondering how many dozens of rams were killed on opening day! I guess not many.
    No, the Kenai Mts are not good at all regarding the # of rams. I have hiked those mountains from one end to the other, and while there are sheep, their densities are far lower than the other road accessible ranges. One can get lucky and take a ram out of the Kenai Mts, but it is not a consistent producer or either large #s of sheep or large horned rams. Bottom line, it is very accessible and thus not likely to be good sheep hunting. Additionally, I assume the wolves do a number on those sheep. I've seen wolves chasing sheep up there (on Aug. 9th, unfortunately), and find wolf scat with sheep/caribou hair in it almost every time I'm in those mountains. I've taken one wolf out of there, but would love to find some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've taken one wolf out of there, but would love to find some more.
    Well being as I am heading up there towards there 17-19th of September with a 'bou tag perhaps I'll let ya tag along as a sherpa and allow you to shoot the first wolf we see.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Well being as I am heading up there towards there 17-19th of September with a 'bou tag perhaps I'll let ya tag along as a sherpa and allow you to shoot the first wolf we see.
    I'd say that I should get to shoot the first legal ram we see, but....

If I can pull it off, I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd say that I should get to shoot the first legal ram we see, but....

If I can pull it off, I'll be there.
    You got dibs on that too.

And then there are the sheep shot by Goat Hunters who don't know a Goat from a Sheep, and the sheep shot and covered with rocks when the hunter walks up to it and realize it ain't close to semi-legal. O'well at least the subsistence Moose season opens early.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast