Thread: Best hook: size and brand for yarn and bait for silvers?

Default Best hook: size and brand for yarn and bait for silvers?

Just wondering what size , style, and brand you guys prefer for fishing silvers for yarn balls/strips and fishing bait in rivers.? I imagine that some use different sizes for each application. I'll be fishing in the mat-su valley. Gamagatsu's? Lazersharp eagle claw?

In Michigan we usually use #8-6 salmon steelhead egg style hooks for cohos and steelhead and sometimes 4's for kings, but we usually have less current than alaskan rivers and we are usually using noodle rods and lighter line (6-10# line).

Default Hook Size

I fished some small Kenai peninsula rivers in late August, and had good success using a #2 & #1 red Gamakatsu hook on 10lb leaders. Kings I use size 2/0 hook in smaller rivers with a 25lb leader. Both set ups are good for drift fishing, and bobber and eggs. I would also try a number 5 Vibrax spinner.

BTW I'll be using 12-14# mono or 30# braid.

#2 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks in red. I've used Lazersharps and find they break. 10# Maxima Chameloen is my favorite line. Old technology. It's still the toughest against abrasion and I can use the knots I've used my whole life.

Ditto the gatsu's. For kings always use #3 or even #4 octopus hooks not only for tremendous strength but for easy sharpening when they finally lose a point. I like the bigger hook for medium to fast water bait fishing. I also like the maxima line, but has a bit too much memory for my taste. I typically use 18 to 20 pound stren when king fishing. Never had a line or a knot break.

I dont like braided line on a reel. No stretch. I use it ice fishing though.

Default just read the original post!

What Mr. Pid said is right on. Sorry! guess I've been daydreaming about king fishing already! lol

I use 2/0 or 3/0 Gamugatsu for silvers and 3/0-5/0 for kings.

I changed to Owner hooks this last season and am sold on them....they stay sharper and I had very few hooks thrown.

Default gusdog..

I'd be interested in trying Owner's. Can you get them in Alaska?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I use 2/0 or 3/0 Gamugatsu for silvers and 3/0-5/0 for kings.
    Ditto.....

I use 3/0 and sometimes a 4/0 Gamugatsu

Can't saw enough good things about there hooks
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Owner hooks are available, surprise surprise, at the best tackle store in Alaska - Soldotna Trustworthy Hardware......and also at Sportsmans' Warehouse and I'm sure at others but those are the two stores I shop the most.

I never liked Gamugatsu hooks. They are strong and practically unbreakable but, in my experience, they dull incredibly easily and are a bear to sharpen. Once sharp they dull just as quickly. When I use Eagle Claws they always stayed super sharp while fishing around rocks and snags. I have had more Gamugatsu's bend out of shape than Eagle Claws break. Personally, I believe Gamu's are overrated.

For bait, I use trebles.

Ok, so 2/0-3/0 it is. Owners hooks are definitely better hooks than Gamis. Owners even hold up for along time in the salt if u rinse them off...I have hooks that make it through an entire season in the surf (bluefish and stripe bass). They're made out of a stronger metal or have a better finish, but do cost a bit a more (1.50 more) in the bulk pack so when I fish snaggy areas i use gamis (reefs for blackfish) and snagless sandy beaches I fish owners since they are so durable. A #5 Owner can swing 15-20# stripe bass on party boats no problem and not bend whereas gamis will bend and sometimes (rare) even crack, but they are the next best hook i know of and are just as sharp IMO.

Default hooks

Gami's for me but Matzuo Sickle Hooks have been are a very close second.

After reading this thread I may have to give owners hooks a try. No problems whatsoever with the Gamis though. Still have a few hundred Gamis that will get me through this season anyway.

Size 6 egg sucking leach, purple no flash.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Gammis

3/0 for silvers 5/0 for kings, Depends on the speed of the water and the average size of the fish on what line you use.
    I fish at clear creek alot in the talkeetna and we use 80lb Tuff line plus with a 65lb mono leader. Overkill you say? well, I like to be ready when the 70 lber comes through. I've caught a 63lb king there so far.
    Justin

I fish larger rivers typically (like the Kenai) but I use 2/0 for silvers (using bait), and no smaller than 7/0, but usually 8-9/0 for Kings. I alternate between Gamis and Owners because each has its benefits and disadvantages. First of all, out of the package, they are virtually the same in sharpness (VERY SHARP!) But Owners have a different shaped cutting edge rather than just a point like most hooks (including Gamis) have. I'm not convinced that one is better than the other yet. The main difference between the two brands is that Owners will hold their sharpness much longer than any other hook I know of. Keep in mind that Owners cost significantly more, so you can opt to simply switch hooks more often and go with the cheaper Gamis if you want (this is typically what I do) and from my experience you break even both financially and in hookups ratio using this method.
    Mark