Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Judging a 50+ bull

Default Judging a 50+ bull

A buddy and I went out scouting today for the upcoming moose season. We spotted 3 bulls. 2 of them obviously were not shooters but the third was close. We sat there debating whether he was a legal animal but could not come to a consensus. Questions for the masses is what is your tried and true method for judging a 50+ bull?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

i look for the main beams to hang below the skull cap you can also try and measure them with your scope they say eye's are 10" apart the best thing to do though is look at alot of moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    A buddy and I went out scouting today for the upcoming moose season. We spotted 3 bulls. 2 of them obviously were not shooters but the third was close. We sat there debating whether he was a legal animal but could not come to a consensus. Questions for the masses is what is your tried and true method for judging a 50+ bull?
    I actually prefer to not play the 50" game. If it doesn't have the browtines we don't shoot it. Though if I could imagine a piece of plywood on end in between the antlers with PLENTY of room to spare I may consider. Otherwise I'll just stick to counting browtines. Much easier to count browtines than to take the ears and multiply by 5 or distance bewteen eyes and and move that out. I'm not good at estimation, but I am great at counting so brow tines is the game I play.

Note: I say this while last year my buddy shoot a 58" bull that was only 3X2 on browtines in unit 13 which is pretty rare. Usually atleast one side has 4 when there are that big up there.

Tell me where you saw 'em and I'll let you know.
    "Your papers are not in order"

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

Note: I say this while last year my buddy shoot a 58" bull that was only 3X2 on browtines in unit 13 which is pretty rare. Usually atleast one side has 4 when there are that big up there.
    I respectfully disagree, they are not that rare, over the past 5 years we've seen and shot some big ones that are 2x3.

All of these moose are from unit 13, where we've been hunting for over 30 years. The first one I shot in 2008 and is 2x3 and is 61. The second was from long ago and is the rare 1x2 and is 63.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I respectfully disagree, they are not that rare, over the past 5 years we've seen and shot some big ones that are 2x3.

All of these moose are from unit 13, where we've been hunting for over 30 years. The first one I shot in 2008 and is 2x3 and is 61. The second was from long ago and is the rare 1x2 and is 63.
    Cool looking racks. Unit 13 is huge and I no doubt generalized on a GIANT GMU. I should have stated its FAR more common to see a 41" 6X7 browtine moose than a 60" 2X2 sometimes it looks like their little antlers have been put on backwards . At any rate there are always exceptions its just a trend I have noticed in the portion of unit 13 I have hunted the past 20 years.

Go to F&G and get the video. I think it is called Is this Bull Legal. I watched it a followed their advice. I estimated within an inch on the last bull I shot. When in dought, look at the browtines.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Cool looking racks. Unit 13 is huge and I no doubt generalized on a GIANT GMU. I should have stated its FAR more common to see a 41" 6X7 browtine moose than a 60" 2X2 sometimes it looks like their little antlers have been put on backwards . At any rate there are always exceptions its just a trend I have noticed in the portion of unit 13 I have hunted the past 20 years.

Its quite interesting how different moose can be just a few miles "down the road". Not 4 miles from our normal camp is a place we started hunting a dozen years or so. Nearly all the bulls in this higher drainage have the following rack, my brother and I shot moose in back to back years that were **** near identical. Another was shot 3 years later with this same 5x5 palmation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    hello,,,I live in galena and guide, been in on over 50 bulls killed,I try to get a head on look draw a streight line down from the inside of each palm to the rib cage,most rib cages are 32 to 36 inches wide,palms 10 to 16 inches wide,without points,if i Can see air between rib and inside of palms 60 plus.adjust from there

Regardless of the method remember there is always a risk of human error - and the fine(s) associated with it. IMO the only "fool proof" way to judge a legal bull is by counting legal brow tines. That said, the rib cage method is interesting and a method I never heard of. I'll have to do some measurements on a few bulls this season.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

2 words spike and fork even I cant mess that one up

Spike OR fork

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Spike OR fork
    I just had to smile and think to myself.... Hmmmm, I guess he CAN mess that up.

ahh you know what I meant ! lol it was way too early when i posted that!

The problem with estimating antler size, using distance between eyes, ears, etc is you do not know how big the moose is. Case in point, I have a picture of a 72 inch bull moose that I let walk because I thought it was not legal. I had the scope trained on it lungs and every step it took a ask myself is it legal before it walk into the brush, less than 100 yards away.

The moose looked like a young animal, long dewlap, antlers are going straight out (large racks sag down), the body also looked odd, because hes really big. It was not until two weeks after moose season when I develop the pictures and saw the three bow tines.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/Berticevich/Moose25x25.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/Berticevich/mooes4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    The problem with estimating antler size, using distance between eyes, ears, etc is you do not know how big the moose is. Case in point, I have a picture of a 72 inch bull moose that I let walk because I thought it was not legal. I had the scope trained on it lungs and every step it took a ask myself is it legal before it walk into the brush, less than 100 yards away.

The moose looked like a young animal, long dewlap, antlers are going straight out (large racks sag down), the body also looked odd, because he’s really big. It was not until two weeks after moose season when I develop the pictures and saw the three bow tines.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thing is i have never found a women that can accurately judge a 50 inch moose...

AFTER ALL THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS IS SIX INCHES
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post

The moose looked like a young animal, long dewlap, antlers are going straight out (large racks sag down), the body also looked odd, because hes really big. It was not until two weeks after moose season when I develop the pictures and saw the three bow tines.

Are those the pictures of the 72" moose?
    Whatever is being used, width between the eyes, width between the burrs, ear length etc. it is important to have a self imposed buffer. If minimum antler spread is 50 then best to self impose a minimum of at least 55 and even higher if not confident in one's ability.
    Joe (AK)

I thought the most fool proof way was to rope them, hog tie them and get the tape measure out while they were laying there.

A second choice is to get the AF&G video It Thios M oose Legal as previoiusly suggested.

Bill, Is that the spanish version of "Is This Moose Legal"?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast