Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One powder for multiple cartridges?

Question One powder for multiple cartridges?

After years of thinking about it, I think I've finally decided to start reloading. I'm looking at loading for several cartridges, and I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I'm looking for one or two powders to get started with that will give good results across the board, if such a thing exists. I'd be loading for .222, .270, 30-06, and .300 WinMag, with primary focus on the .270. I know that each caliber/rifle would probably prefer its own can, but if I can get acceptable results, I'd like to be able to work up loads without buying a lot of different kinds of powder right off the bat.

Is this a possibility, or should I bag that idea and buy "recommended" powder for each caliber?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I'm not sure about the 222 but the 270Win, 30-06 and 300WM will all do well with H-4350 or H4831sc and they're in the extreme line. Extreme is supposed to be temp stable...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I'm not sure about the 222 but the 270Win, 30-06 and 300WM will all do well with H-4350 or H4831sc and they're in the extreme line. Extreme is supposed to be temp stable...
    +1 for H-4350, if I could have only one it would be H-4350.

Steve

Holly bat'crap, I did not know there was a powder other than 4350

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    After years of thinking about it, I think I've finally decided to start reloading. I'm looking at loading for several cartridges, and I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I'm looking for one or two powders to get started with that will give good results across the board, if such a thing exists. I'd be loading for .222, .270, 30-06, and .300 WinMag, with primary focus on the .270. I know that each caliber/rifle would probably prefer its own can, but if I can get acceptable results, I'd like to be able to work up loads without buying a lot of different kinds of powder right off the bat.

Is this a possibility, or should I bag that idea and buy "recommended" powder for each caliber?
    Tough to beat Reloader 22 in the three bigger cartridges. Been a long time fan of 4198 (IMR & H) in the 222. I'd say those two powders will provide near maximum performance (accuracy & velocity) in the 4 cartridges you mentioned.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you can’t tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

A book you might check out, might find it in a library so don't need to buy it, or borrow as there are several serious reloaders in Wasilla
    is "Propellant Profiles," it is an amazing resource telling about the powders available. All of them I believe.

It'll make a pretty good argument for 4350 but something like H4831sc is a pretty versatile option also. I started out on 4350 and RL 15,19,& 22, pretty hard to stick with just one once you are up and running but that is a good start out plan of yours.

If I was closer or if you are planning a trip to the Island for Deer or Goat this fall you can take a look at my copy, Really good info
    If you plan to do much reloading tho you'll want lots of manuals and this is a really good book to own.

To start simple tho it is a one time read to find what you are looking for in one or two powders to cover your needs for a while.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

In the 30-06 H4350 defiantly for medium to heavy bullets. But it will have issues in the 222 (you do not say if it is standard or mag) due to its bulk. H4831SC or IMR 4831 would be good for the 270 and 300 WM and 06 with heavy bullets, but not of much use in the 222 of either type. BL-C(2) is good in the 06 for light bullets, and rather good in the 222 rem mag not so much in the 222 rem. H414 is okay in just about everything but not great any where.

Quite fankly just get some powder and get to loading. I too worried about finding just the right powder when I started with my 30-06, everyone said H or IMR 4350, so I went looking for that. After 2 weeks of not finding any I was getting antsy so I got some H414. I did not much like the 414 but it loaded okay and shot fine, and got me started loading and learning. Honestly I can not say exactly what I disliked about it but after I got some H4350 I just could not stand the H414, not real sure why it just felt weird.

Anyway a year later still loading only for the 06 I have 6 powders under the bench.

H4350 for full power hunting loads, 200 grain noslers; and target loads 168 grains.
    IMR 4350 for target loads with 168 grain bullets, I can not decide whether the H or IMR shots better, but the testing is fun.
    H414 for teaching friends to load or practice rounds, 150 to 180 grain bullets.
    IMR 4198 for reduced loads with 180 grain bullets, about 30-30 velocities nice low recoil practice and good fun to shoot all day.
    IMR 3031 for loading cast 170 grain bullets for practice +- 2000 fps, nice low recoil can shoot all day long.
    Red Dot for loading same 170 grain cast to 1300 fps for pot loads for shooting rabbits and grouse while big game hunting.

So, what I am getting at here is get a powder and get started. You will soon find that even for the same cartridge you will want different powders for different bullet weights, so get something that will get you started and start trust me you will have no problem finding a way to burn up just about any kind of powder you can find.

If you're seeking the best results with the minimal amount of work, pick the powder or powders that are known to work well for a given application. When you look at the time you invest putting together and testing loads, gas money to get ot the range, the cost of bullets, trying to save a couple bucks by getting by with one or two powders is money wasted. I tried that approach early on and was often chasing my tail. Once I took the approach of researching the powder(s) and bullets knows to provide the best results for a given chambering, I could dial a gun in with one or two load sessions, provided the gun was capable.

I'd agree that where appropriate, Hodgdon 4350 is a superb powder, and it would be one of my first choices and should cover alot of applications. With the -06 you'll likely want a slightly faster powder with the lighter bullets, and the 300 mag might want a slightly slower powder.

The triple deuce is going to require a medium fast powder, so do some research on an appropriate powder, there's plenty of data out there.

I'm looking for suggestions for a slower burning powder in my 20" bbl puma .480. Im currently using H110.
    Pete

NRA Lifetime Member

Try IMR 4064.

What about varget isn't it suppose to be an all around powder for different grain size, types of projectiles and caliber size?
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I recently went thought this exercise and bought a can of Varget for rifles and Unique for handguns to stash for emergencies. I hope I'm never limited to only one powder!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If you're seeking the best results with the minimal amount of work, pick the powder or powders that are known to work well for a given application. When you look at the time you invest putting together and testing loads, gas money to get ot the range, the cost of bullets, trying to save a couple bucks by getting by with one or two powders is money wasted. I tried that approach early on and was often chasing my tail. Once I took the approach of researching the powder(s) and bullets knows to provide the best results for a given chambering, I could dial a gun in with one or two load sessions, provided the gun was capable.

I'd agree that where appropriate, Hodgdon 4350 is a superb powder, and it would be one of my first choices and should cover alot of applications. With the -06 you'll likely want a slightly faster powder with the lighter bullets, and the 300 mag might want a slightly slower powder.

The triple deuce is going to require a medium fast powder, so do some research on an appropriate powder, there's plenty of data out there.
    I'm with Paul on this topic.

you CAN find one powder that will work ok in all the cartriges you listed, but in all likelyhood will only work great in one of the four. Remember that your time is also money, and time saved trying to eak out acceptable performance from a less than optimal powder in your cartridge of choice, could be better spent elsewere. I have about 25 different powders sittin on the shelf.... maybe 6 of those get used on a regular basis. many of them were purchased when I was "prospecting" for that perfect powder for the application at hand, and then discarded as a less than optimum choice. I still keep them around as you never know when I new rifle might come your way, or if a buddy needs to try a new load.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

H-4350 would be as good as it gets for them. H414 is very good as well

Reloader 22 is a vastly superior powder to H4350 in either the 270 Winchester or the 300 Winchester Magnum. I am not guessing when I say it'll produce more velocity and equal or better accuracy in barrels of 22 inches or more in either case with game weight bullets, say 130+ in the 270 and 165+ in the 300 WM. In the '06 4350 shows better, but with bullets of 180 grains or more I've not found it equal to RL 22. As for the 222 Rem, you'll find H4350 is simply too slow to give reasonable velocity and I'd expect erratic accuracy, but I've not loaded 4350 in that small case. I do know that powders such as H322, RL7, 4198 give maximum velocity and BR accuracy in a 222 so I've no confidence in the slower powders in that application. H4350 is a good performer, but there has long been more effective choices IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I never had good results with RL22. I just never hit on a load that shot with the accuracy of 4350. I have friends that are in love with it and it shoots very well but for me it just never did the trick. I was never one for trying to get that last 50fps out of my loads and 4350 just shot nicer groups. RL22 is a great powder for sure. i just may pick up another pound to play with again. you have me thinking its worth another try as i have seen what it will do. Thats the fun of reloading is loading different loads and seeing how well they shoot

Ironartist is correct about Varget, it will work in everything from .17Rem. to .458 Win., however it will work better in some calibers than others. If memory serves it is best in medium calibers, ie. .270, 30-06 etc. There is an article in Handloader magazine (August edition) about this very subject. part of the "fun" of handloading, for me anyway, is trying new components, constantly trying to make my ammo work better, I can see the reason for having one universal rifle powder, just hope I never have to do that.

IMR or H 4895 will work in every centerfire rifle cartridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast