Thread: Clothing

Default Clothing

I am looking into getting some new hunting camo. What do you guys think of the camo Under Armor stuff? Is it any good. Keep you warm and water resistant?

What are you recommendations for base layer, jacket and pants?

Thank you for your help

Default Camo

If u want the best for life get the Sitka gear and if your police, military, fire fighter u get get it almost half off!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thayer the slayer View Post
    If u want the best for life get the Sitka gear and if your police, military, fire fighter u get get it almost half off!!!
    Boy, if that's the case what does that say about the mark up!!! Hey, I have several "COP" friends ;-) who don't hunt.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

where do you get that discount??...I love my sitka and looking for one more layer...did not know anything about available discount...usually just wait for a sale...thanks...

BK

Quote Originally Posted by thayer the slayer View Post
    Sounds like you are having better luck than me! I have only had one of their items that has lasted me more than 2 weeks of field use. I like their ascent jacket but have blown up their pants and their 90% jacket in short order. Way to much money for something that falls apart so easily. Personally I don't care for camo too much and go for quality first. Right now my favorite is Westcomb, A whole season on my pants including a bruiser Kodiak goat trip and they are in great shape! Westcomb is on par with Mammut only in real people sizes!

I am so tired of overpriced junk gear that I am set on learning to sew my own. That should make for some fun winter projects!

Since I can't bring myself to spend over a grand on a popular set of layered hunting camo gear I will share what I have used for over 15 years.

zero cotton items

Socks - Merino wool by Wigwam or similar
    Short drawers - ExOfficio synthetic boxer briefs
    Long drawers - Any on sale/cheap polypro or merino wool that is comfortable. Make sure you wear it some before you hunt. I think the Paradox stuff at Costco is pretty good for the money currently.
    Pants - A good set of back packing pants with zip off legs. I have a set of Mountain Hardware and a set of NF. I prefer the MH, they were about $100
    Under shirts - one long sleeve and one short sleeve thin "under armor" style shirt plus a long sleeve lightweight fleece under shirt
    Outer wear - lightweight fleece vest, lightweight fleece jacket, lightweight fleece pants
    Rain wear - Surplus Gore-tex woodland camo jacket and pants, cost less than $100 for the set and a set of Helly Hanson impertex rain jacket and pants.
    Hat - OR Seattle Sombrero Gore-tex, synthetic mil-surp boonie, wool or poly watch cap
    Boots - good full leather gore-tex and good knee boot that you can walk in. I will be adding a set of packable hip boots by Neos.
    Gloves - thin neoprene, lightweight fleece or wool and gore-tex outer mitten

The keys are lightweight, synthetic, redundancy, durability, breathability and the ability to absolutely hunker down if it is cold and pouring.

I have used the above list of gear from 0 to 80 degrees. I may mix and match a bit depending on the type of trip, but the above list will do it all.

Unless you're getting the discount noted above, Under Armor is waahay over-priced.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

LuJon - On one post you say it lasted a year. On another you say if lasted half a year. Now you say it lasted 2-weeks. Is it possible that you don' like Sitka? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by MTDreams View Post
    LuJon - On one post you say it lasted a year. On another you say if lasted half a year. Now you say it lasted 2-weeks. Is it possible that you don' like Sitka? LOL!
    I have several Sitka items. I do like the Ascent jacket. The mountain pants lasted a couple weeks then detonated. The replacement ascent pants lasted about a month before the crotch started blowing out, and that was under fairly light usage. The Sitka 90% jacket lasted a year though the stitching in the zipper was pulling out after just a couple weeks. I did forget about the sitka belt, which I really like. I have 2 years on it and going strong.

In general, no I am not a fan of the Sitka gear. It is very expensive which would be fine if it lasted. For my money there are other more durable options.

I gave Sporthill a try... very warm for their weight and they dry faster than anything else I've ever used. Exceptionally comfortable and quiet in the field as well.

I have two sets of under-armor "Cold" long johns. I don't like them.

I always feel like I'm damp and standing in a faint breeze, and on the verge of getting a chill. I'm not cold wearing this stuff but that sensation is unsettling.

I love my smartwools but dang they're 'spensive
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

My typical fall hunting outfit is as follows:

polypro longjohn pants (left over from the army)
    wool socks
    wool army sweater
    wool pants or bibs
    wool shirt
    wool jacket
    wool hat and Filson packer hat (w/good coat of wax)
    leather/Goretex/insulated boots
    1 pair wool shooter's mittens, 1 pair neoprene gloves
    HH Impertech bibs
    HH hooded jacket

I add or remove layers as necessary depending on what I'm doing. For my money, the best hunting clothes out there are Filson, Woolrich, and Bemidji Woolen Mills.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I have some Cabelas brand stuff I've been pretty happy with. The Revolution Fleece (I think it was called) jacket and pants I have I've been impressed with so far. They keep me dry and warm, a little too heavy for mountain hiking, but good for chasing moose and bear around the swamps and muskeg. Price was under $200 for the set. I have fleece and packable down vests that were "no name" brands that were all pretty inexpensive. I'm a fiend for Under Armour base layers, socks, underwear and shirts. Their jackets and pant start to get pricey but I've used their stuff hunting, fishing and in combat and never been un-happy with it. I do have a Sitka Celsius jacket and hat that I like so far. It was a birthday present which means I payed for it, but didn't. I haven't put it through the paces yet but I think it will work out. I have a bunch of military surplus fleece, poly pro, Gore-Tex jacket and boots that all work real well too.
    Oh, and I've never seen any signifigant military discount on this stuff other than what they give us at SW. I'd be interested though.
    Last edited by Ryan J; 10-14-2010 at 13:52. Reason: in addition

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I gave Sporthill a try... very warm for their weight and they dry faster than anything else I've ever used. Exceptionally comfortable and quiet in the field as well.
    I need to sell my set of sporthill pants. They are very warm, too warm IMHO. I much prefer a thinner pant with a good merino wool base layer underneath if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I need to sell my set of sporthill pants. They are very warm, too warm IMHO.
    I think about freezing is where they get comfortable to me. I wore the pants on a day hunt in the 60s and sweated like a pig.

On my last hunt the temps fell into the teens- I was happy to have them.

If you want to part ways with them send me the sizing info, I might take them off your hands- i use them for XC skiing all the time.

I use minus 33 merino wool or free polypro long underwear. Outerwear varies. I have some sitka stuff, The traverse zip long sleeve is nice. The pants I have feel cheap, but they haven't given out on me yet. Sometimes I go out in blue jeans and a cotton or fleece hoodie....I only have two minutes to drive for hunting though!! I have goretex, fleece, underarmour copy stuff, and a myriad of others. I cycle it enough that it doesn't really wear out.

All said and done, if I were to reccomend anything, it would be:
    Active in cold weather- Merino wool socks, long johns, any wind stopping outerwear (fleece or HH impertech II)
    Stationary cold weather- Wool and Fleece
    Warmer weather- Blue jeans/carhartt, fleece or cotton hoodie.

I have camo, but wear what fits the weather at the time...