Thread: fishfinder question

Default fishfinder question

I have an eagle Fishmark 480 mounted in a 21 ft Hewescraft and I am having trouble seeing fish when in the saltwater. It finds fish in fresh water although it might not be seeing everything. I have adjusted the sensitivity up and down, turned the various fish reveal options on and off. I see the bottom fine, it shows the downrigger weights and flashers when hanging below the boat. Occasionally it shows what I am assuming is a bait ball down below. I have been near others that are reporting seeing fish below and I have nada.

Anyone have any ideas? I am heading back to Valdez this weekend and would like to find the fish.

Thanks.

You might be seeing them, but you might not know what you are looking at.

Edited to add.. Is that a color unit?

Non color. It does have fish ID that shows the fish symbol. I can see fish symbols and fish arches both in fresh water, but not salt.

You'll be able to see salmon just fine with that 480, but it'll be tricky to know what you are looking at without color. Turn off that Fish ID. It's worthless. You'll rarely see arches. Salmon don't meter like a freshwater fish.

Look for dense small balls or slashes on your screen. The best way to you to figure out what they look like on that 480 is to look at your screen every time you get a salmon bite. If you keep seeing the same thing, you are looking at salmon.

Realize that if you are seeing your flasher/ball on the screen, you have a pretty good unit. You'll often see salmon come up and take a look at your flasher. It's pretty cool. I spend long days and staring at a fish finder, and can pretty much call every salmon I get on my line. Just keep staring at it and pay really close attention to what you see when you get bites, and it'll start making sense to you.

Here are some pics of salmon on my cheap color sounder... These are May kings. (I've posted these before)

Don't despair! Sounds like your sonar is working fine, but needs adjusting a little. You will see salmon and other fish 'arches' when you are adjusted correctly. Keep your manual handy, and experiment while you are fishing. In general, start with making SURE your transducer is pointed straight DOWN from your transom. You don't have too many pixels with your sonar, so you need to set it up perfectly. Use low frequency(50 kHz) in salt, and maximum chart speed. You also need maximum gain without much clutter. Then set your depth to about twice the depth you are fishing..........e.g. if you are trolling at 50 feet, set your depth to maybe 100' or 150'', and not necessarily auto bottom(which may be several hundred feet). This maximizes the arch size on your screen. You won't be seeing fish all the time, so be patient! With silvers, when you do see fish, get to that depth quick, and get your net ready! Before you go out again, do an internet search for 'sonar fish arches' and you will get all the info you want.