Thread: Powerline pass...?

Default Powerline pass...?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to hike up powerline to the pass were it drops off into ship lake on the north? can you use a mt bike on this trail or is it pretty much just for foot traffic?
    thanks
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Powerline Pass doesn't drop into Ship Lake - it ends up in Indian Valley. You have to break off of the main trail and head up a ramp to Ship Pass. Not sure that there is a trail there, but it's not too tough of walking.

-Brian

ya thats more or less what i meant.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Ship

There's is a trail most of the way, you brach off powerline to hidden lake trail you'll see the saddle.

Default Trail to Ship Lake

Get out your 55 Ways to the Wilderness in SC AK Book out and it tells you how to get there. You can ride a bike for a few miles but you dump the bike at the stream crossing. The walk up the rest of the way is a gradual incline except for the final climb which is fairly steep. I have done this hike in the summer in an evening after work. The drop down into Ship Lake looked to be very steep. Another easy way into that country is to hike up Indian. There is a good trail that is fairly flat.

Check out this website

http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/

Default powerline pass

you can mt bike the entire trail...every year, there is a mt. bike race called up and over challenge that covers the entire trail....i have mt biked it and hiked it...both are awesome!!!!...the trail is well marked year round....
    stacey
    stacey

life's journey is not to arrive at your grave
    safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting....holy ****....what a ride!!!!

click below to see what stacey has been up to....
    http://www.msnusers.com/staceysadventures/shoebox.msnw

My g/f and I did Powerline Pass to Indian today... VERY scetchy in the last 300 yards up the actual pass, I didn't realize how steep it would be, or how slick with all the wind-blown snow... we thought about heading left & scrambling over the low pass to Ship Lake then hiking out to Indian that way, but decided it added too much distance so we ended up scrambling our way up a rocky section alongside the snow-bound pass just to get over it... not easy.

Anyway, the diversion over the little pass to Ship Lake from the powerline pass hike, looked very straightforward. In terms of time... it took about 2 hours to get there from the Glen Alps trailhead. It was about 6 miles.