Thread: tackle needed for shore fishing?

Default tackle needed for shore fishing?

hey guys i am coming up to alaska on aug.24th thru sept.4th and renting a RV from anchorage. i will be traveling from deneli to seward. i was wondering what kind of spinning gear i will need to bring and fly fishing gear too. i am an avid fisherman so but have know idea on what kind of tackle,rods,line weight to bring. any help would be a life saver! and maybe some places to fish. i will be bring my waders. thanks for all the help!

Rod and line type would vary depending on what you are planning to target from the roadside. Not to sound like a jerk or state the obvious, but if you are going after Kings (20-50+ pound hard fighters) you would need a very different setup then you would if you were targeting grayling, char, or trout (which are a blast to catch and are plentiful in some locations).

You also may fish from shore in the salt in some places, although not typically as productive as fishing from a boat you (and many boat guys) may be surprised at what you can get.

A good medium weight spinning combo with 15-20 pound test on it is probably as versatile as it gets up there. Spoons and spinners are versatile in the lure department.

Be careful wading in Alaska in remote areas if you have no experience with glacial silt. The ultra fine sand can fill any opening fast and literally pull you down. Your body could be buried in silt and never recovered.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

thanks for the help i really don't know what to fish for along the roadside. i didn't know kings would still be around at that time of year. i will probably try to target silvers and trout and char. what kind of lures should i buy for silvers and char?

#3 and #4 spinners work well for both...brighter for silvers as a rule and anything imitating eggs will help with dollies/char. If you are used to medium to small jig fishing it will work for silvers in dark/purple combo colors. Vibrax, Mepps, and Kodiak Customs work well. If you have a chance to stop at B & J`s here in Anchorage they can get you dialed in for the areas you plan to visit.

In the Denali area you can go to flies for virtually everything except Lakers. Black nymphs and dries work well on the roadside streams. Stop at Tangle Lakes (on Denali Highway...if you go there) and fish the mouth where the lake comes into the river...slow moving water loaded with smaller grayling with an occasional small laker.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff