Thread: 180B tailwheel.

Default 180B tailwheel.

Whelp friends and neighbors I got my 180B here and doing some much needed maintenance.

Gonna put 8.50s on the main gear but not sure what size tailwheel I aught to put on it to go with the 8.50s. Gonna use these wheels for practice till I get good enough to REALLY play in the dirt.

Any suggestions?

Rick

An 8" standard tailwheel is all you need. Spend your money on avgas. You do know the 850s will require approval, right?

Pid,

Gotta real kind A&P so got that covered.....I stink.

Rick

Default Pilot

Well after abt 100-hrs I'll be ace pilot Rick.

No ifs, ands, or butts.

I used to fly with my dad in the L-19 doing 2-loops for my 16th b'day.

I ain't about force but it is about feel..

Rocket Rick, Got a set of brand new 8.50x6's W new tubes still in the factory wrapper for a reasonable offer and a copy of the stc to put them on. I got it from the 180/185 club for a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    An 8" standard tailwheel is all you need. Spend your money on avgas. You do know the 850s will require approval, right?
    Mr. Pid is right (as usual!). My $0.02? Always keep that tail wheel at its recommended pressure. If you allow it to get low, you'll begin blowing tail wheels, and that's a pain in the neck . . . . .

Thumbs up

Thanks al, Pid and Griz.....much appreciated.

I felt it necessary to add new muffler, exhaust and airbax. Well not a new airbox but I'm getting a used airworthy one much cheaper. What a pain trying to get that done jeez.

Smile

Thanks al, Pid and Griz.....much appreciated.

I felt it necessary to add new muffler, exhaust and airbox. Well not a new airbox but I'm getting a used airworthy one much cheaper. What a pain trying to get that done jeez. Aught to have it installed in a few days then watch out birds Ha!...

Well I can write a book about buying a used truck in Ak that's not run into the ground here and nearbouts can do it buying an airplane 'cept it's much much more complicated. I think I was lucky really.

Thanks again for the tips.

Gotta say,... now that I'm finally doing what I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO, It's really heartwarming to receive all the "good will and willingness to share" I've found in the aviation community. Really nice.

Default XP Mod tailwheel

I have a 56 c-180 and replaced the 3/4" tail wheel stinger with a 1" and put a XP Mod tailwheel on, basically a 10" 206 nose wheel on your tail. In some ways I am happy with it in other ways not so much. First of all price it was a 3300.00 dollar mod, ouch. It does keep your tail up on a soft beach. First time in to Polly creek, landed up on the beach, turned up beach and put the tail wheel at about the tide line, got out of the plane and 78A started rolling down beach towards the mud. I grabbbed the tail and got her parallel with the beach,retaxied and at the last moment hit the brakes to create sand chocks.

Even though my mechanic said that the big tail wheel was in dirty air this tail wheel stole a few mph and in what is a neutral position for the wheel I have to hold a little right rudder to keep everything centered and flying straight.

Also, when on pavement you really have to kick the rudder and add power to get a right or left caster for turning.

Lastly, the tail wheel is so big that it actually changes your angle of attack, I upgraded the engine to an IO-470 and 260 hp so getting off short is no problem but it does have a slight effect.

In summary if I knew then what I know now I would have not changed out for the big tail wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10" 206 nosewheel????? Which XP tailwheel do you have? 10" or 14"?

OK ... aircraft log's stc says it is a XP Modifications 5.00 X 5 tail wheel assembly ... stc SA2359AM.

14". Yours should steer easier than you describe. Your mechanic should be able to adjust it whether the problem is in the tailwheel or the steering cable tension.

I agree with you that a 14" tailwheel hurts AOA. I wouldn't want one without big tires on the mains.

I fnd a STC for adding the 8.50 x 6 tires on Cleveland wheels but my brakes are McCauley. Wld this STC still work?

Also, the existing tire is a 8.00 x 6 and is approx 17"-diam..An 8.50 x 6 is approx 20.5"-diam.

I was gonna use the 8.50 tires for training mostly but that training will include some gravel and beach stuff to.

Is there is a huge advantage to go to the 8.50s vs staying with the 8.00s?

Thanks

The popular consensus is to lose the Mac wheels and brakes and replace with Clevelands. The best price for the kit will be from Alaska Bushwheel. My mechanic pitched my Macs a long, long time ago. The three bolt wheels will be fine for your 180. Reeve sells reinforcing washers and longer bolts for the three bolt Clevelands, too. Necessary? I can't say, but I've always used them. Some guys insist on 6 bolt 206 wheels. Your B model doesn't have the gross capacity to make them necessary.

I'd go 850s over 800s every time. Even then you'll need to be careful where you land. If you land on sand stay off the brakes. That rule applies to all sizes of tires. 850s especially.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    The general consensus is to lose the Mac wheels and brakes and replace with Clevelands. The best price for the kit will be from Alaska Bushwheel. The three bolt wheels will be fine for your 180. My mechanic pitched my Macs a long, long time ago. Reeve sells reinforcing washers and longer bolts for the three bolt Clevelands, too. Necessary? I can't say, but I've always used them. Some guys insist on 6 bolt 206 wheels. Your B model doesn't have the gross capacity to make them necessary.

I'd go 850s over 800s every time. Even then you'll need to be careful where you land. If you land on sand stay off the brakes. That rule applies to all sizes of tires. 850s especially.
    PID,

Whelp here's the pics of my tires and the brakes.

On another note: I have the chance to get some 29"x11"x10" Mccreary wheels with tires and tubes for $1.5k. Still gotta see if there 3 or 6 bolt but what say you?

Rick

29" Gars? I have no idea what they're worth. Good stuff if the wheel adaptors are glued on well.

Go fly the plane. Let it tell you what it needs. Crawl before you walk. Walk before you run.

Smile Walk before ya run...

That's a tune I used to do in an earlier life. In HS no less. HA!

"Walk, Don't Run" is a rock'n'roll instrumental composition written and first performed by Johnny Smith in 1955.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ErCvLiQpe0VL5g

On that note, Here's my performance at the 1996 Anchorage folk festival.

Enjoy I hope..No biggie!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=945939

Rocket