Thread: Last minute emergency! Need a 4th for a September float hunt!

Default Last minute emergency! Need a 4th for a September float hunt!

To anyone interested:

I have a float hunt planned for September on the John River. One of my hunting partners had a last minute emergency and is unable to attend. We will leave Fairbanks on the night of 3 September, drive north on the Dalton, stay the night, get picked up in the monring, fly through Bettles and up the river to the drop off point. We will complete the hunt on 14 September and fly again, through Bettles, to the original pick-up location at Prospect Creek LS. The majority of the planning is complete (just working out last minute details), so this would seem like an easy, last minute opportunity for someone who has the time to go.

The Ballpark cost is $1200 per person as of now. Not the end of the world to go with just the 3 of us, but it will obviously raise our cost a bit. If anyone is interested, or knows of anyone interested in coming on this hunt, please contact me via PM and I will give you more details. I am also local in Fairbanks.

Thanks,

Matt

I sympathize with you. We were in the same predicament two weeks ago on a river near the John. We'd been planning since last November and the 4th partner had to pull out. We have two boats and did not want to have 3 guys do 2 boats. But we're able to pick up the 4th living in Anc who was a friend of my son.

Good Luck.

...ballpark cost sounds like a bargain! ....would be worth it at twice the hunt... But i got hunters coming in so I'm not in that game....but I'm sure someone else will....

Ive had that happen to me more times than i can count. Last year it cost me a last minute plane ticket to fly a friend in from out of state to do the trip with me. I feel for you man. This year I got everyone together that was going and collected the money for the flight from them early on so everyone is in it a decent chunk of change and so far so good. No one bailing on me. Its different with a last minute emergency though. Good luck. I wish i had time to do something like that.

darn...correction to post #3...."ballpark cost sounds like a bargain! ....would be worth it at twice the hunt"

...."WOULD BE WORTH IT AT TWICE THE PRICE"...
    How often does anybody ever line up a pre-planned fly-in hunt for only around $1200.00?
    Sounds great!

Haha. Thanks Adventure! you had me worried for a minute there!

dang...I'm almost tempted

Haha. Come on then!

I was very close to being "that guy" last year. I still was going to pay for my part but luckily life worked out and I made it. This year I had to bail but it was a solo trip so I am the only one I made angry.

It wasn't really "That Guy's" fault, his supervision had a change of heart at the last minute (note, I am not that guy, nor am I his supervision). I am going on this trip though. 1200.00 per person (for 4) is what we are looking at for transpo. This will probably go up based on misc. expenses. Right now we are looking at having to rent one raft (I am finally pulling the trigger on a 14' self bailer, so that is the other raft). If anyone who has their own raft wants to join us, that would be more than welcome.

I'd be very tempted to join you but I'll be on a hunt with my dad in PWS. Sorry I couldn't help out but it sounds like a heck of deal.

Personal message sent.

Just like to let everyone know that the seat is no longer available. We are keeping it at 3 people. It would be too hard at this point to try to plan for a 4th with only a few days to go.

Good Hunting,
    Nick

Unfortunately, we went the entire 10 days and did not see one single moose! We saw lots of sign, but we didn't see any animals. I saw one grizzly bear, but when I put a stalk on him, I ended up spooking him. I think it was just way too unseasonably warm this time around.

Anyway, thanks to all of the people who helped me plan this trip. We still had a lot of fun and it was a really great trip, despite the lack of animals. Also, thanks to Blue Moose Rafting, of Fairbanks, and also to Bettles Air. Both places provided outstanding service and will come highly recommended from me to anyone who asks!

Oh no - bummer! How warm was it? Any pics?

Lots of pics of the mountains and us and all, but none of any wildlife! haha. It was probably between 60 and 70 during the days. Pretty warm. It got a bit colder at night, but not enough I guess...