Thread: Heads up, no SPOT coverage on Adak

Default Heads up, no SPOT coverage on Adak

Thought Iíd post on here for anybody who uses Spot PLBís that I havenít been able to get coverage on Adak. Did two trips out there and sent 10-12 OKís on each with none of them getting through. After the first trip, I thought maybe the terrain may have been a factor out there. The second trip, I tried sending several OKís from ridgelines with no higher terrain for miles and still had no success. According to SPOT, Adak is well within their coverage range and I should get service out there, but it has never been tested.
    Just thought Iíd post this on here as a heads up for anyone going out there. Iíve used SPOT in many other areas of Alaska with 100% success even under tree cover. Aside from this issue, I have nothing but good things to say about SPOT, but This insident makes me believe that the coverage may not be as widespread as they publish.

I noticed Adak is in more of a fringe area of coverage. Anybody else tried using SPOT in areas like this? http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=109

Iím thinking of renting an Iridium sat phone if I go back to Adak. Anybody used a satellite phone on Adak.

I tried using my spot to send an OK message from Adak last spring. It did not go thru. I tried twice from a high point without much interfering terrain and never got the message to send out.

For what its worth anyway. I also tried to send one from Cold Bay and it didnt go thru, but I think I didnt let it sit long enough to send the message before I shut it off to get on the plane...I had forgotten what light flashing code meant the message had been sent...

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    Thought Iíd post on here for anybody who uses Spot PLBís that I havenít been able to get coverage on Adak. Did two trips out there and sent 10-12 OKís on each with none of them getting through. After the first trip, I thought maybe the terrain may have been a factor out there. The second trip, I tried sending several OKís from ridgelines with no higher terrain for miles and still had no success. According to SPOT, Adak is well within their coverage range and I should get service out there, but it has never been tested.
    Just thought Iíd post this on here as a heads up for anyone going out there. Iíve used SPOT in many other areas of Alaska with 100% success even under tree cover. Aside from this issue, I have nothing but good things to say about SPOT, but This insident makes me believe that the coverage may not be as widespread as they publish.

I noticed Adak is in more of a fringe area of coverage. Anybody else tried using SPOT in areas like this? http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=109

Iím thinking of renting an Iridium sat phone if I go back to Adak. Anybody used a satellite phone on Adak.
    You ever going to post a report or maybe some pictures from your adventures on Adak?

Thought I did post one. I looked back at the archives and I guess I didn't. I'll have to get on that.

just wondering if you were using a first or second generation spot?

It is a first gen SPOT. Would the second one have a better chance of getting a signal out? For what it's worth, I did have a GPS signal and the unit attempted to send a signal. It seems more like a network issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    You ever going to post a report or maybe some pictures from your adventures on Adak?
    here it is....he took photos from some of the same points I did back in highschool nearly 27 years ago.