Thread: Any Pinks in the Kenai River yet?

Default Any Pinks in the Kenai River yet?

I want to take my young kids (8 & 5) fishing for pinks. Bird Creek looks awful muddy. They caught a lot of pinks in hope last year but I had to cast all the time. Seemed like lots of places required casting either too far for my kids or the stream was so narrow my kids would cast completely across the stream. Not much control.

I remember as a kid going to the Kenai River and just hammering them from shore as far down river as Cunnigham Park on Beaver Loop on even years. Lots of room and the kids can just cast where ever and however they liked.

Have yet to see a Pink be caught out of the Kenai.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Tried the Kenai at the Moose last night. Nothing, no pinks, no reds. Maybe about 2 weeks.

Fished on the lower Kenai today and we caught some pinks.Most of them seem to be hanging out in the tidal zones now but they're moving up.Cunningham would be a good bet.

Talked to a buddy a while ago and they were hammering pinks down around the Pillars today.

I just took a walk down along the bluff to the pastures and I saw some pinks splashing away. I will take my kids pink hunting in the next couple of days. Hopefully they can find a couple to hook up with.

How do u fish for them? Just toss spinners out. I got a place were we fish for reds off of funny river road and maybe i can fish for pinks?

Even tho im a fly guy im just lookin for fish. thanks! Tight lines all
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Any hardware seems to work. Pixies and vibrax's. In my expereince, pretty much anything you throw at them other than roe seems to catch them. Even then, we hook a pink on roe every now and then.

Thanks to everyone for the update.

Wink new updates?

any fresh news on any salmon on the lower peninsula? I have a day to kill friday in the Anchor Point area, would like to slam some salmon b4 I fly out on Saturday, even Pinks are ok with me.

Default WIDE open pink bite!

Been catching hordes of them in the lower river (below Riverbend) for the past week.

One young man in my party was well over 50 pinks over 3 days of fishing Mon-Wed.

My nephew landed 26 in about 4-5 hours on Saturday.... boat total in that same period of time (6 rods fishing) was 70+.

Plugs on anchor, backtrolled plugs, spoons, spinners, twitched jigs, swung and stripped flies... it's all good!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks Doc,

Now just need a break at work. How long ya down for?
    ~Rudy

I would assume the pink fishing will be decent from shore as well? Would the same places that produce good red numbers (such as Centennial and Swiftwater) produce good pinks?

Thanks,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

I would go lower in river--pinks brighter and sassier. Try Cunningham Park--pinks and silvers on incoming tide.