Thread: Need help finding rock fish out of Seward in small boat

Default Need help finding rock fish out of Seward in small boat

I've got use of 17' Alumaweld Stryker with windshield and soft top. I'd love to get into some black bass/or other rock fish out of seward as close in as possible to avoid potential rough weather as I have two little kids. Any suggestions would be a great help.

Rockfish aren't close. If you pick the day and the weather is good head out to Rugged Island and work around the edges inside the bay. Also, Mary's Bay (on Rugged) has rockfish along the inside eastern edge. I have done plenty of it in a 16" Klamath, but watch the weather

Try any of the rocky points in Thumbs Cove, Humpy Cove, Sunny Cove or Caines Head, Callisto Head or Porcupine on real nice days. They aren't going to be big or a lot of them, but it will keep the kids happy.

Work the North shore up to Thumbs cove and beyond, black rock fish , sweet spot in front of the cabin there at the corner, deep deep fish deep, could be some Pinks or Silver for the kids, what fun!

Everyone has given you great information on where to go, they are spot on. Right now the Silvers are in and around Thumbs Cove and Caines Head. Running about 20'--to 40' down, use herring with a 4 oz bannana weight. Or #5 Vibrex--red or pink on NO-0 or No-1 Deep Six works great. Black Bass on 4" darts or snell hooks with troll herring along the rocks. Drop herring or darts close to bottom. Have Fun

Thank You all for the helpful information. I will give it a try, weather permitting.