Thread: Brooks Range Caribou hunt

Default Brooks Range Caribou hunt

At the risk of exposing my "greenhorn" status, I have a couple questions:

What can you tell me about harvest tickets? I've purchased, and received, my license and metal locking tags, but I understand that I also need harvest tickets. Is that something that I get from ADFG, download, or my transporter?

We plan to pack any meat out on the bone, however, in the event of an animal shot some distance from camp am I allowed to bone it out in the field in unit 26?

Obviously we'll be bringing out the quarters, backstrap, tendrloins, and neck. On the whitetails we shoot down here, we normally don't try to salvage the rib meat, am I required to on Caribou in Alaska? If not required, are they worth the effort?

Thanks again for all of the help!

Check the ADF&G website here:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting

This way there will be no "interpretations" of regs since you are getting it straight from the source. If you still have questions, call the ADF&G. Good luck!

salvage.jpg

As Hoosier replied....review the regs, then do it several more times. Different units have different requirements.

You must salvage the rib meat....and you will probably be charged with a violation if a trooper finds that you haven't.

From what I understand....
    I believe in unit 26; you do not need to keep the meat on the bone. (but please verify). The regs have some nice illustrations that show a properly "boned-out" quarter.

You need harvest tickets; I think you can download (from adfg) or get from Fred Meyers, Wal-mart, ADFG in-person, etc...it is like your "tag"; where you must validate the date on the ticket upon killing your animal...and reported to ADFG. Again this is defined very well in the regs.

Not sure why you wouldn't salvage rib meat anyway. Some of it will be unedible due to bullet/arrow but that's a bit wasteful to not try.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

check the regs!!! do take anyones word for it. in 23 you can only bone out meat after a certain date. Make sure you read for yourself because they dont mess around with waste of game.

You must read and understand the regs for the area and time you will hunt. If you can't understand them, and I don't blame you for that, then ask the ADF&G to clarify. Never rely on word of mouth concerning regulations because there are so many misconceptions and interpretations out there you will get in big trouble.

You can download your harvest tags from this link. Make sure to use good paper and keep them dry. Harvest tags are required along with your non-res locking tag.
    https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/w...TOKEN=24814729

You will be required to salvage all meat as mentioned already to include the meat between the ribs.

This area is HIGHLY POLICED so keep a copy of our complicated regs with you read and understand them. Photo document your kill, taking photos of the carcass, record the GPS location as well. Make sure that when you are done you can see white bone, not meat covered bone. I have seen several citations written for leaving rib meat. The last time I hunted ANWR I was landed on and checked by both State and Federal Officers.

A boned out carcass will look something like this plus the guts, feet and hide.

Have a great hunt.

Steve

Carefully read all of the reg book and make certain of the boundaries for any area you might be hunting - then be very careful about what regs may apply to those specific areas. Not only are the game regulations a major concern there may also be access constraints imposed by specific land managers.
    Any questions regarding regulations should be directed to the enforcement arm of the agency. For information regarding ADF&G regulations, inquiries should be made with enforcement and NOT biologists or game techs - the same applies to other agencies.
    When questions are asked the specific regulation being referenced need to be cited in the question.
    These regulations are, unfortunately, pretty complexed. Some time during the past several months, there was reference to some special regulations regarding Red Sheep Creek. There was a specific mistake, (discrepancy), between the map and regulations - hopefully, it has since been corrected. However, had I not directly contacted the agency the issue probably would not have been resolved (well at least not as quickly.
    Best of luck - and - READ AND UNDERSTAND THE REGS!
    Joe (Ak)

I would also add...if you're rifle hunting outside the 5-mile corridor, make sure you use a GPS to verify that you're 5 miles out as the crow flies. If you're bowhunting in the corridor, you'll need the Alaska bowhunters education course.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I knew you guys would have some great info for me. Before posting the question, I had downloaded the regs, 23 minutes, and decided I need to bring my lawyer with me. After he has thoroughly explained them, and made sure we're not in trouble, we're taking him bear hunting! Having them and completely understanding them is most certainly two different things. But I will own them before we go...light reading for the flight from Florida.

Bucksandnoles, when are you headed up to the Brooks? Who are you flying with?

Some LSU boys from Louisiana heading to the Brooks for a 'bou hunt on August 12th!
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Something to consider. If you're hunting in a group you can save some packing weight by cooking the ribs right there at the kill site.

Granted this depends on distance from camp and time of day, but, ribs roasted over a fire of willow twigs (and a little cajun seasoning) makes for a fine, albeit impromptu, celebratory meal.

Follow stid's example and document everything with pictures. They could save you from a citation.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksandnoles View Post
    decided I need to bring my lawyer with me. After he has thoroughly explained them, and made sure we're not in trouble, we're taking him bear hunting!
    If you bring him grizzly bear hunting in Alaska...you need to be a resident and your lawyer needs to be a relative of second degree kindred or have a guide. If it's black bear, depending on what date, and what unit...you may or may not have to salvage all edible meat, and may or may not use it as animal food, and it may or may not need to be sealed, it may be an open season or may not, you might need a 40# bow or a 50# bow..................
    I'm just sayin.....
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Can't we just whack him with a club when he's out looking for yogi, ammo's so expensive? Can't imagine ADFG officers would have a problem with us not tagging him, or salvaging any meat.

Sorry guys, bad lawyer joke!