Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a sheep list and checking it twice????

Default Making a sheep list and checking it twice????

As that magic time of the year once again approaches, I find my myself checking and double checking. Analyzing each and every item for weight and need. I feel my partner and I have a quality location and a solid plan. As always the weather will make or break us, so I pray for workable weather. Smoked some reds to fuel us during our pursuit. My rifle and ammo are both ready for the task. We just need hard work and preparation to intersect with opportunity. I would like to wish everyone a safe and successful hunt.

Heavy Packs my fellow sheep fanatics....

Steve

Stid caught a peek of your sheep list. Only thing I see missing is

Alaska_Lanche-155 lbs
    Alaska_Lanche's pack-48 pounds.

Good luck and hope ya have an awesome time in the mountains and get a sheep just as icing on the cake.

Alaska_Lanche,

Good luck to you and the Misses as well. I'm sure you are ready, those pack rafts trips looked like good training!!!! Can't wait to see your photos.

Steve

Stid, we're on the same page. Been pouring over my list and triple checking everything with the partners. Weigh in on Saturday, heading out on Sunday for the Brooks! Best wishes for you and your partner!

Yup, same here. I've got everything in a pile or on the shelf except some food items. When I get most nervous is when I leave the house and wonder if I REALLY got that one thing in the pack even though I checked it off the list, like my sleeping pad or stove or raingear!... or my knife or game bags or,or,or,or......

and.... I should have got in one more training hike, I hope a don't get a flu bug just before we leave town, I hope there's no family crisis at the last minute, and on and on and on...

Best wishes to all. Like many here, weather permitting, we'll be airborne Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Yup, same here. I've got everything in a pile or on the shelf except some food items. When I get most nervous is when I leave the house and wonder if I REALLY got that one thing in the pack even though I checked it off the list, like my sleeping pad or stove or raingear!... or my knife or game bags or,or,or,or......

and.... I should have got in one more training hike, I hope a don't get a flu bug just before we leave town, I hope there's no family crisis at the last minute, and on and on and on...

Best wishes to all. Like many here, weather permitting, we'll be airborne Sunday.
    Man Snyd you sure have me feeling better about missing out on all that anxiety by sitting this year out!

OK THAT WAS A LIE!!!!!!!

Shoot... I had my sheep pack put together in May!

Of course that was primarily because I knew I was going to be in the bush all summer and wouldn't be home to pack. My stint out here ends on the 8th, and I'm planning on jumping in a cub on the 9th without ever going back out to civilization.

Yk

Good luck to all the other sheep hunters out there.... We'll be hunting on the 21st of Aug. Not doing the opener this year. Hopefully the results are the same as last year (2 rams).
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Like many here, weather permitting, we'll be airborne Sunday.
    That is my plan.

Best of luck to all of you sheep hunters!! We all live vicariously thru your stories and photos. Shoot straight have soft landings and reasonable climbs.

Pulling for you, Snyd. It's been a few years for you. You're due and I've got a good feeling.
    Hunt harder than the next guy and stay the course, my friend.
    Proud to be an American!

even if you forget somthing...you probably get by without it.
    All you need is a gun, three to five cartridges, a change of socks, some food.
    Toothbrush is optional, something that cuts would be nice. you can still go even with the flu. By the time the hunt is half over, you will be well...been there.
    Ok, seriously....hope you all have a fantastic hunt, complete with all the stuff we modern hunters prefer to take....

i have packed, repacked, and organized and now i just open and look in the bag and have it memorized where everything is suppose to go. i'm ancy and ready to go and hoping the weather is much better than it has been. this will be my first solo, true back country hunt, ive hunted by myself more times than i can count but not like this for the 14 days i have off. i will break my legs trying or come back with a full curl....now if this week will quit dragging and we can just get to monday... good luck to all!

The biggest fear that I lay awake at night thinking about, is that someone else will be in the spot that I'm planning on hunting. It's not a very big spot. I shot my 1st sheep last year, and am going solo this year. Can't wait, hopefully I'll have some pix to post by the end of next week. Good luck to all.

Just when you thought you had a plan!!!!! Got a call today from our air taxi, he said that high water has washed out our landing strip. We have been scrambling all day to come up with a plan "B". Never good news but we will just adjust and do the best we can. Going to try to find some maps tomorrow.

Good Luck Synd, I'm sure there is one out there that wants to come home with you.

Steve

Default Nervous as i can be !!

This is my first ever sheep hunt this year and i am soo nervous about forgetting something or overlooking some aspect fo this hunt, and it's driving me nuts! I drew the metal creek tag this year and just got back from a fly over with gary from palmer air, and it is looking nice up there. I HOPEFULLY can make it an entire 10 day hunt (unless a stupid sheep falls in my lap) and i get out earlier.... My fingers are crossed that i will get lucky, but if not it is beautiful up there and i will love every second of this hunt... I just need to find one of you veteran sheep hunters to show me the ropes next time!! Heres to no experience and dumb luck possibly working somehow....lol

David

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Pulling for you, Snyd. It's been a few years for you. You're due and I've got a good feeling.
    Hunt harder than the next guy and stay the course, my friend.
    Thanks for the good words there Frank. Yup, been a few years. Feeling good about this year myself. This will be my first fly in. It started out we were planning a Brooks Range hunt with a 185 or cub and our pilot friend. Because of logistics and time we've changed to his cub and the Alaska Range. This way we'll get 6 full hunting days weather permitting.

AlaskaTrueAdventure.... I hear ya!

Steve, give me a call or email or pm. I've got some nice maps you can have/borrow or whatever and maybe a little 411. Check your pm's

Doogie,
    Good luck on your sole effort. Solo hunts can be fantastic. My first six rams were taken on solo hunts. Some were over on opening morning. One time I connected on hunt-day-#13! Interesting things (may) happen on solo hunts. I found myself talking to myself constantly after about the third day....I never did a "superbowl touchdown celebration" when alone, I was able to walk away from unretrievable sheep without any regret, knowing that the country could not be safely navigated. I also knew when I walked away late in the day that I would be back in two days, and twice I whacked thoses guys when they ventured out of the no-mans-land rocks. More than once I said to myself...."Heros and fools die young. Today, I choose life". Solo hunts are a real test of yourself both physically and mentally. Very primitive emotionally. After my solo hunts I am quiet when I return "to people". Others have told me they could not stop talking when they returned home. Also, you can sleep late without an explanation. And you are only looking for one fine ram, half as hard as finding two if you had a hunting partner.
    After you get a solo ram, let us know if you experienced any of the deals I tried to describe.

Bighorse, where are you? You have had great hunt descriptions following your solos.

Dennis

Default First solo/sheep hunt!!

I have read and re-read most posts on this site about sheep hunting and gear. This week I have packed and repacked twice! I am agonizing about the food piece of things and pack weight like I suspect most first timers would. I am at 52 pounds with everything but water. This will be my first extended solo trip ever and I couldnt be more excited/nervous.

Scouted out the area two Sundays ago and dropping into the AK range this Saturday. I will be there through Friday if everything goes as planned.

Good luck to all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast