Thread: Compatible? Pro Auto-Disk and Classic Turret

Default Compatible? Pro Auto-Disk and Classic Turret

Compatible? Pro Auto-Disk and Classic Turret

I am ordering a Lee Classic Turret and wanted to get the Pro Autodisk (for it's superior powder hopper among other things) to use on press. One tcheck at Factory Sales (Lee's marketing arm) tell me the Pro will not work on the Classic Turret.

I also wanted to get the upgrade kit for one of my standard Auto-disk measures, but he said the same thing, "won't work".

Can anyone verify or debunk the notion?

They said it has to do with needing to use the chain return mechanism instead of the spring, but that doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks

Lost Sheep

I hope someone knows the answer because I'm getting ready to get the same setup. As far as what I've read, it should work. But I think I read something about needing to get the extension/riser...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default I was pretty sure before, but now REALLY sure. It will work; the tech was mistaken.

Rod,
    The riser is supposed to be necessary for the auto-disk to avoid hitting the Lee Safety Prime device (if you are using it). Though I did hear from one person who reports using his without the riser and experiencing only a small amount of trouble with clearance.

I posted the same question on "TheFiringLine.com" and got several testimonials saying that the Pro Auto-Disk, the Standard Auto-Disk and the Standard with the Pro conversion kit all work just fine on all Lee presses (and most others as well). One post suggested pointedly that the tech who gave me that information should take some remedial training.

My press and the peripherals should arrive by the end of this week with any luck. After I check it out, I will be asking Factorysales to make good on the unwanted substitutions. I am dropping $400 on a complete revamping of my reloading setup (and expecting to be selling off my old gear, keep your eyes peeled in the for sale forums). I have gotten fond of the Lee "Powder-Through" dies and will be letting go of my RCBS and Lyman dies and two Pro-1000 presses as soon as my Classic Turret proves itself.

If you haven't already chosen a vendor, I recommend you check out Kempf's Gun Shop. They assemble a nice Kit in the Classic Turret that includes the 4-die set (in pistol calibers, and even in calibers that Lee does not offer the 4-die set for, Kempf's puts one together and sells it for the same price). Better prices than Grafs, Midway or Cabelas (though I cannot speak of the shipping).

If you want to talk privately about what I found in my shopping research, send me a PM and we'll exchange emails.

Lost Sheep