Thread: Bear attacks/charges/maulings???

Default Bear attacks/charges/maulings???

Howdy! I would really like to hear some of your "close call" experiences regarding bear charges/maulings/attacks. Please don't hold back on the details if you don't mind. live and learn no doubt.

I would like to read about what went wrong and what could have prevented the encounter.

My wife and I are moving to Alaska in a couple of weeks...so, if you don't mind...educate and scare the Blue Twinkies out of me.

HA!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Default Get the books

by bear attack author Larry Kanuit, his "Alaska Bear Tales" are pretty good compliations with plenty of details for you, & you have more books too, called "More Alaska Bear Tales" & "The Son of Alaska Bear Tales" "The Return of Alaska Bear Tales" "Bear Tales Strike Back" "Bear Tales & **** Bear Tales, & Statistics of Bear Tales" "All I ever wanted to know I read from Bear Tales" "Hunting Hard in Alaska with my Bear Tales Book" by Marc Taylor...etc. etc. etc.

Default bear bites & bee stings

I've spent a considerable amount time afield in Bear country, and have hunted and guided Bear hunts for many years.

Bears are kinda like bee's. Everytime you see a Bee does it race over to you and start stinging you?????? NO!

Same for Bears; just cause you see a Bear, or Bear see's you, that don't mean its gonna stop everything and come over to bite you or scratch you. It just don't happen that way. I realize some folks like to sensationalize "bear attacks", but in all reality they are very, VERY RARE!

A person should use some common since when in Bear country. However being afraid of them and working yourself up into scared frenzy is probably down right dangerous. You're setting yourself up for trouble and/or a negative Bear experince.

Good Hunting...>Byron

Quote Originally Posted by tull777
    Howdy! I would really like to hear some of your "close call" experiences regarding bear charges/maulings/attacks. Please don't hold back on the details if you don't mind. live and learn no doubt.

I would like to read about what went wrong and what could have prevented the encounter.

My wife and I are moving to Alaska in a couple of weeks...so, if you don't mind...educate and scare the Blue Twinkies out of me.

HA!
    Read "Some Bears Kill" by Larry Kaniut, and also Bear Tales.