Thread: Grayling

Default Grayling

I went exploring the other day and found a wonderful grayling pool on Willow creek. It was an absolutely gorgeous day, and the grays were in a feeding frenzy!!! I hooked into a couple trout in the hole as well, using beads. One of those great fishing days!

Nice pics man, thanks for sharing. Wish I was there

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Beautiful Fish, nice pics looks like One Nice Day

Hey, I'm a relatively clueless Sportfisher, If I found myself at a spot like that what would I use to entice those Grayling? What do you mean by beads for Trout?, looks like a fly in his mouth there, or....?

Just wondering, what are the basics for Grayling, I have an ultralight rod, have had fun with Dollies on small spinners, thinking those look like fun

What two or three lures should I toss in the pack with that rod when I go high country hunting?
    Your Favs?

PS Nice Post by the way, thanks for joining
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Any 1/4-3/8 ounce spinner will do. They are not picky. If I had to pick one, I would take nickel Panther Martins in 1/4 ounce. Depends on how big the fish are I guess. In NW Alaska where I have caught my grayling, they get pretty big and I find they will hit anything I am throwing at the dollies. If they run a bit smaller in your area, maybe smaller spinners would be in order. I think 1/4 ounce should be pretty universal though.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

They will also take pretty much any fly too.
    Elk hair caddis, adams, ants, nymphs..........etc.
    Just fling it out there and have fun.

Depending on the average size of the grayling I like to use the largest spinner/spoon I can get away with when fishing with spinning gear.
    Grayling are voracious feeders and will often inhale smaller offerings.
    Where I fish grayling I generally use #2 and #3 blue fox spinners in gold or silver and spoons 1 1/2" to 2" long.
    If the fish average under 12" go for #1's and #2's in spinners and 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" spoons.
    Favorite spoon colours are potato bug (burnt orange with black dots and gold back (http://www.lenthompson.com/charts.html) and the Lucky Strike Half Wave in silver and the smallest size (2" I think).

Last fall I hit a hole of grayling that really loved a olive wollybugger. Almost every cast. after about 50+ that fly was almost nothing left but the bead head.I think they might have just liked the gold bead head as much as anything. As for what are trout beads they are beads that looks like salmon eggs.They come in many colors and lots of people paint them up with colors to look like the natural eggs in the water at that time. Peg one with a tooth pick 2 in above the hook. They work good but they are not considered a fly if you are in fly only water.

Awesome man, thanks for sharing! Sure wish I had the time to get out there.

ANy good spots within walking distance??
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

I know that hole.............
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I know that hole.............
    As do I.... and yes it is full of fish

I remember they did a story on that hole in ADN once, the editor had the sense to flip the slide over to throw folks off the scent. I once hooked a king on a size 20 adams there once, true story
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Last fall I hit a hole of grayling that really loved a olive wollybugger. Almost every cast. after about 50+ that fly was almost nothing left but the bead head.
    A #6 beadhead olive wb is my favorite fly for grayling. Boringly effective in the middle water column.

I know that hole............

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Nice pics man, thanks for sharing. Wish I was there

-Dan
    Dude why dont you just roll up this way for good? Been wanting to ask that for awhile.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Yep, know that hole too. Kodiak, if you are looking for a catch all lure for an ultra light, look no further than a micro jig or small jig (marabou). This is a secret I share with few others, but hey, Karma right? (not that big a secret really) Go to Bass Pro Shops website and look for trout jigs. You can go as big as 1/32 and as small as 80th ounce. Olive seems to be the best but Black, Black and gold, white, brown and gray work well. You buy them by the card (12). The small ones work well with a fly rod or you put a small split shot above it. I've caught a lot of Dollies, Trout, and Grayling on the jigs. Trout up to 25" and Grayling up to 19" (I know not that big to some). Drift them through holes, deep or in the riffles. Works in all of them and for young kids and novices.