Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Old Man Creek Trail

  1. #1

    Default Old Man Creek Trail

    This might be a stupid question but what is the old man creek trail like? Can you get a truck back there or is it ATV only. It looks like a pretty good trail on Google Maps but I know that doesn't mean anything. I am wanting to get back in to the Little Nelchina River and use ATV's to hunt from there. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    Leave the pickup along the Highway, if you place any value in it's condition. The trail is a cakewalk for an ATV, but a challenge for a pickup. On a good dry year, it is doable, just not worth the effort and wear and tear on it. IMO
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3

    Default

    If I leave my truck out by the highway for a week do I need to be conecerned about people breaking into it or vandalizing it?

  4. #4

    Default

    Yep,
    Dont' leave anything in it. But I still think it would be better off in the gravel pit, as opposed to along the trail some miles back in.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  5. #5
    Member BrowningLeverAction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage AK
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I park my truck there all the time in the winter to access my cabin and have never had a problem. It may be different during hunting season, though. I agree with AKres, I wouldn't take my pickup on any of the trails around there unless it was set up for serious off-road use. This is a wet year for the trails.

  6. #6
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    While I agree with the prior posters we did take a factory stock IH diesel scout back in there all the way to the little O and back out with 3 caribou in the back. Did it all with street tires and the wire type snow chains. One of the best hunting trips of my life, though I am sure I will never get to go again (gotta love the Tier system)...

  7. #7

    Default

    Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

  8. #8

    Default

    So I just got done loading up my trusty grizzley to head out Friday and discovered that my rear diff is leaking like crazy. I have a kodiak but it is only 2 wheel drive Will I be able to get back in there with it or am I screwed? My buddy is going with me and he has a grizzley 700 with a winch on it and he will be pulling the meat trailer. I am going to call Anchorage yamaha tommarow to see if the have a seal and can get it in, but by Friday morning I doubt it. Just wondering how bad the trail is and if it is doable with a 2 wheel drive? I am trying to get back in to where the trai crosses the little nelchina river. Thanks for any info.

  9. #9
    Member STEELHED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Has anyone been out past the little nelchina lately? Just wondering how high the river is......

  10. #10
    Member 2dawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Vorhes...Yes, for years the only thing I had to ride was a 2wd racing quad...went everywhere (mostly) that the 4x's did. Including crossing the little Nel.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    141

    Default

    I was there on the 10th and the Nelchina was crossable. Went looking for Bou and saw 5 cow straglers in 72 miles of trails but that was it!! We checked out all the way to the Little O and thats where we saw 1 cow Bou and just decided to come back to home base and get them later in the season when they come closer to the road systems.

  12. #12
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    With the warm weather you would be smart to glass for them along the snow packs on the shady sides of the mountains. Last time I was in there no one had any down and we limited in short order. Just small bands spread out finding places to beat the heat.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Just got back. Trail(s) are in great condition IMO. Made it all the way to Little O. Saw 9 caribou all singles. Did NOT have a tag. Had one run right through camp and stop 40 yards past camp and just looked at us. Seriously, I'm sure if I had a permit the only caribou I would have saw would have been 4 miles away. Crossing the Little Nelchina was not a problem, of course, I was in a Ranger 6X6. Looking at the crossing go to the far right. Here is an album of picks from the trip. You'll see the one labeled Little Nelchina Crossing. The pic is taken after crossing. I know this is a hunting forum so any questions about the trail conditions pm me or there is a Eureka post in the ATV section.

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=b2a3e17a19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •