Thread: My change of tune on RCRR

Default My change of tune on RCRR

During a thread quite some time ago, I was one of the most vocal about some issues I had at the Rabbit Creek Shooting Range. I feel it is my duty to be one of the most vocal about my stance now.

Juan (Rangemaster) and the people working down there right now are top notch. They are consummate professionals and I truly enjoy going to the range with the current RM, RSO and VRSOs. I have had the opportunity to observe them on alot of pretty busy days this summer. I have seen them have to deal with some downright stupid moves. In fact yesterday I watched the guy calling the rifle range stop 3 incredibly stupid acts in a matter of 3 hours. (I'm not saying the people doing those actions were stupid, but what they were doing was incredibly stupid.)

Here is where my change of tune comes in - The crew down there stopped and handled all three of those people professionally, politely and quickly. I just wanted to put out there to those of you who had stated you would never go back to RCRR in that thread a while back: It's safe to go back now.

Thanks to the staff down there for turning the place around.

Now all we have to do is get a 300 yard range set up down there.

Kudos to the RCRR staff and to you sir for letting us know about the positive changes. I went exactly once, for the reasons that were listed in the old thread. Guess I should give it another try.

Ed
    Afflicted by condition human

AKF, I respect your actions here, and I admire the character that it obviously represents. You'll probably remember that I was one of the people voicing support for RCRR during the discussion you referenced a year or so ago. I don't agree with all decisions and actions of the range managers and staff. However, I do feel that they consistently do an absolutely excellent job of helping to keep us safe while we are there, and that is exactly the #1 customer service deliverable that I expect most from my annual fee.

I have been to RCRR 5 times this summer and was very happy with the way things were run. The staff were professional, courteous, and friendly. I used silhouettes for handgun shooting and not a word was said about it.

I prefer to go to the Birchwood range because I grew up shooting there back in the '70's, but Rabbit Creek is close to home for me so I will gladly continue to punch holes in paper there on a regular basis.

Wow, It sounds like things have changed for the better at RCRR. Professional, courteous, and friendly are descriptive terms, which I would never use to describe the staff at RCRR. Granted, I haven't been back in over two years. After 20 years of lousy experiences with obnoxious cigar smoke belching range staff, I won't be going back any time soon. I have an EMP membership at Birchwood and have been very happy there. No one there gets there panties in bunch if you bring anything remotely interesting to the range at Birchwood.

Here's the reality with RCRR - if we don't use it, we're going to lose it. You can see that they've spent some money there recently sprucing up the place, trying to make it more attractive and comfortable. The staff there is pretty good. There are people in the legislature from outside of Anchorage who have been trying to cut the budget for this range. They say there's no state-funded range in their area (the bush) so why does Anchorage get one? We need to show that the public uses it to keep it open.

I've shot at RCRR for quite awhile, and I agree that it is being run well. Nice to be able to get in a short range session during lunch, or take the kids out for a day of making empties.

The good thing is the range seems to get busier and busier each year, well kind of a good thing, it's a bummer when you can't find a bench to setup on.