Thread: Got It!!!

Default Got It!!!

This morning, I brought home that 1999 Montana std. bolt face action. The thing, on real close inspection, is a LOT nicer piece than I originally remembered it being.
    By the way, this Pre-64 M70 .30-06 barrel (circa 1948) threads right on. Looks like there's plenty of room to get rid of the coned breech and still have enough left on the forward end to not have to cut new threads. Until I talk to my machinist, won't know for sure, but it sure appears to be 'do-able' at the moment. Toughest part might be getting the sights to index straight up on the new receiver. We'll see...
    Now to start looking for a stock!

For a stock that looks good, I'd contact Larry Tahler at Serengeti Rifles. They can make you a very nice Laminated stock that doesn't really look laminated. I had a .25-06 built on a Montana Rifleman action with the ACRA-Bond AAA Claro walnut stock. Thing looks sharp and shoots great! ACRA-Bbond merged with Serengeti a while back. You can contatc him through www.serengetirifles.com

Default MRC Actions...

D/W,

The Montana actions are pretty darn good. They corrected one weakness of the pre-64 and that was the coned breech. They also have that original Mauser collar, cut only for the extractor on the right side. All these important ferures are cast right in the receiver requiring minimal machining. That keeps the cost down and still makes a very good action.

The Winchester trigger is perhaps the very best feature of the pre-64's and the Montana actions use that. I think I would prefer the old FN commercial Mauser two position safety on the left side of the bolt shroud. The Winchester safety flag is a little big and in the wrong place. I can't have everything. All in all, the Montana Rifleman actions are a very good buy and stronger than an old military action.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The only downfall to the Montana's are there weight since they are really heavy. But in a larger rifle such as my 458 Lott the weight can be an advantage.
    The prices on these has sky rocketed since Winchester announced they were ceasing production on model 70's. I paid $800 for a stainless left handed barreled action in Jan 06 and now they are priced at approximately $987. I wished I had bought a few more for future projects.
    A reasonable alternative to adding a good stock is a McMillan.
    Tennessee

Default Thanks for the thoughts!

I believe that this one is indeed going together as yet another Whelen. With that round, and the way I've been loading my other rifles, the weight will work for me. Besides, if need be, I can play with barrel diameter/length and stock material to reduce some weight.
    You're right about it being a big action. I'd though of making another Roberts out of it, but then I looked at the Mexican Mauser I have sitting here, or another small ring 98, and decided that either of those would be a better choice.
    By the by...I also picked up today what I figure to be a bit of a 'treasure'.
    Local pawn had a well used 1.3 million Springfield Armory manufactured 1903, in a well used and abused maple stock. What attracted me was the Kollmorgen 4X Bear Cub and Beuhler rings and base attached to it. $30 netted the rings, base and scope, which now reside on one of my other 1903 Sporter projects. This one, as well as my Redfield Bear Cub, and the Stith that I have are all 26mm tubes, making ring selection a bit of a problem, so snagging the rings with this was not an option! I DID happen across two sets of Redfield 26mm rings, picked up one set, but both sets are 'highs'. I also managed to find a complete Griffen & Howe sidemount for a pre-64 M70 with 26mm rings and an old Lyman Challenger in it for the asking. Why am I such a sucker for this old stuff???