Thread: Help With Tutka Bay Fishing

Default Help With Tutka Bay Fishing

Can someone give me some information on fishing Tutka Bay across from Homer. I heard the reds were "in", I have a boat, but have never fished over there. Is it dip netting or rod and reel fishing? Is it from a boat or do you go to shore to fish? Any help would be appreciated. Oh yea... When does the run usually peak? I'm thinking of going over this next weekend.
    Thanks in Advance

Reds are mostly gone. Rod and reel snagging in the salt. Need a boat that can go shallow. Pinks and silvers showing up now.

Chest waders at low tide is a great way to limit out in the channel; there's a good campsite at the head of the lagoon, but beware at low tide if your boat draws much water. No fishing within 100 yards of the net pens. And if you've never been "combat snagging", watch out!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I was there yesterday and there were many thousands of reds in the lagoon and in the mouth still waiting to get in. Our boat limited out quickly both days this weekend. This is a snagging fishery and you can only get into the lagoon with a boat a few hours before high tide. There is lots of room to fish your "own" area so that you aren't fighting other boats for the fish. I never felt crowded this weekend. If you have a chart plotter, be aware of the large rocks at the entrance to the lagoon.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    I was there yesterday and there were many thousands of reds in the lagoon and in the mouth still waiting to get in. Our boat limited out quickly both days this weekend. This is a snagging fishery and you can only get into the lagoon with a boat a few hours before high tide. There is lots of room to fish your "own" area so that you aren't fighting other boats for the fish. I never felt crowded this weekend. If you have a chart plotter, be aware of the large rocks at the entrance to the lagoon.
    I was in there about 4 or 5 days ago and in about 2 hours was only able to pull out 2 fish between 2 people. It was very slim pickings. I don't know this for a fact, but I think things are past peak and you're going to just have to be there on a good day, but there are people that know that fishery better than I do so I could be slightly off base on that.

And, as HomerAdam said, don't even attempt to go in and out of there unless the tide is within at the least a couple of hours of high. If it's a "small tide" day your window of opportunity is maybe only an hour each way. I headed out a little late the other day and it was VERY dicey going through the "channel" and came very close to some VERY big "prop eaters"and even a fishfinder isn't going to save you. You really have to just observe what's going on down below you with your eyes. When the tide is going out, and especially on a "big tide" day the water flowing out of there through the entry channel is about like the Kenai on a flood day.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Many years ago, my dad's first time going into the lagoon we ran aground in the channel. Tide was flooding in, so it was like going downriver and hitting a gravel bar. Not very fun in a 22' fiberglass boat. Luckily, we really did hit the gravel and not some bigger rocks, so it was a matter of tossing the anchor and waiting until it was deep enough to move under power again. Once in, the fishing can be great or it can suck...I've never had consistent luck there, but after that my dad was hesitant to take the boat in again so I can't say I've tried a lot.

We went there again last night and the fish were still in, however........a seiner came in while we were there and made a set that encircled the entire end of the lagoon and made a huge haul of fish. Sorry to see the fish go, but I know that's the reason the fish are there and that's the financing for the future runs of reds. It sure was fun to watch that many fish caught in his net.

Are you guys talking about Tutka Bay Lagoon or Little Tutka Bay?

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

How was China Poot this year? Haven't gotten a chance to be in Homer this year. Man I miss living there. Well tight lines from Kodiak guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    Are you guys talking about Tutka Bay Lagoon or Little Tutka Bay?
    Tutka Bay Lagoon.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com