Thread: Russian River Campground

Default Russian River Campground

Heading to the Russian next week for the first time. The regs say fly fishing only to the ADFG markers. Is it fly fishing at the campground too? If we don't want to fly fish is far to walk further up stream and would it be worth the walk?

Thanks for any advice or input.

All of the russian is "fly fishing only". Sorry.

Was thinking about taking a flyrod anyway although I am a NOVICE at fly fishing. Would it be worth it during this time or should I fish elsewhere? Thanks

You don't necessarily have to use a fly rod, simply a fly as your terminal gear. Most anglers at the Russian use stout spinning rods with a coho (Russian River) fly on the end. It's the most effective way of targeting reds, so regardless of where you fish down there, that's the way to go.

I wouldn't worry too much about being a novice fly fisher. "Fly fishing" on the Russian simply means that you have to use a fly. The typical way to fish it is to stack a bunch of split shot on the leader (must be at least 18" from fly per the regs), and flip the fly into the water, let it drift down, strip it out, repeat. There wouldn't be room to actually fly cast, so no need to worry about that, and nothing in the regs says you have to actually use a fly rod, so many, if not most folks use a spinning rod anyway. So as long as you're using a fly - and make sure the hook isn't too big - size restrictions are in the regs - you're fine.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Great. Got plenty of spinning rods. Does the same technique work for rainbows and silvers as well?

For rainbows take your fly rod, get some "flesh flies" you can get them right down there near the Russian at Trout Fitters. Orange color was working for us today.

Flipping for reds will also get you silvers though I doubt there are silvers at the Russian yet. Actually just got back from a run down to the Russian. Was pretty dead for salmon this morning while we were there, but we hooked into some nice trout and my buddy landed a really nice dolly. Read the regs well. Generally trout/dolly fishing is catch and release down there.

Thanks for the input everyone, this website has always been helpful to me when planning my trips to AK. Looks like we'll be fishing the Kenai/Russian 11-13 then a halibut charter out of Seward on the 14th then back to the river for two more days. I would like to catch a rainbow though. Should I used a 6wt or 8wt? What about the type of line? Thanks you all!

a 6wt is more than enough for the bows on the russian. I fish floating line with around 10ft of leader
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by Mashesta View Post
    For rainbows take your fly rod, get some "flesh flies" you can get them right down there near the Russian at Trout Fitters. Orange color was working for us today.

Flipping for reds will also get you silvers though I doubt there are silvers at the Russian yet. Actually just got back from a run down to the Russian. Was pretty dead for salmon this morning while we were there, but we hooked into some nice trout and my buddy landed a really nice dolly. Read the regs well. Generally trout/dolly fishing is catch and release down there.
    Yeah,

I gotta get a bigger net for those fish. Man I still can't get over that hog that I didn't get a picture off. Had a nightmare last night of the horrific event. Headed back down Wednesday with high hopes. Mashesta is right on, the trout and Dollies were slammin the flesh. Put a BB size splitshot on the leader about 6 inches above the fly to assist in getting it down in the water and get ready. Also, personally I wouldn't keep trout or dollies out of here, even though you can keep one under 16 inches(double chk the regs). Catch and release is how we get those big boys for photo ops.

Good luck

Yeah, I wouldn't want to keep a bow when there are so many other fish to keep and eat. I have a 1.5 acre pond where I live that has big B.G. and Crappie in it and we always release the big ones unless its a kid fishing. Kind of like passing on 2.5 year old bucks...never gonna kill a 5 year old if you don't let em grow.

Quote Originally Posted by aldridge88 View Post
    Yeah,

I gotta get a bigger net for those fish. Man I still can't get over that hog that I didn't get a picture off. Had a nightmare last night of the horrific event. Headed back down Wednesday with high hopes. Mashesta is right on, the trout and Dollies were slammin the flesh. Put a BB size splitshot on the leader about 6 inches above the fly to assist in getting it down in the water and get ready. Also, personally I wouldn't keep trout or dollies out of here, even though you can keep one under 16 inches(double chk the regs). Catch and release is how we get those big boys for photo ops.

Good luck
    Don't the the regs still say, weight at least 18" above the fly? I could be wrong but the regs are not just for red's down there. Until later this month I believe the regs are still "weight at least 18" above the fly".
    Last edited by Alaskan Fly Guy; 08-03-2010 at 19:07. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Don't the the regs still say, weight at least 18" above the fly? I could be wrong but the regs are not just for red's down there. Until later this month I believe the regs are still "weight at least 18" above the fly".
    I've wondered that before myself. The 18" regulation is intended to prevent a particular type of snagging??? (Someone confirm/deny this) But fishing wet flies, you would (almost) never want that much space between your weight and your leader in order to get proper presentation of the fly. Might be a good question for F&G. Perhaps the officer wouldn't give you a hard time if you were clearly targeting rainbows and dollies and not snagging.

I know I've fished beads, flesh flies, and other wet flies in the Russian with the weight more like 6" - 9" up from the fly. Should I turn myself in?

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Regs are 18" above the fly between June 11 and August 20 (sockeye season)

Beads not on lines are illegal during the above time period... As for not using split shot close to the hook Tungsten beads are your friend.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    I've wondered that before myself. The 18" regulation is intended to prevent a particular type of snagging??? (Someone confirm/deny this) But fishing wet flies, you would (almost) never want that much space between your weight and your leader in order to get proper presentation of the fly. Might be a good question for F&G. Perhaps the officer wouldn't give you a hard time if you were clearly targeting rainbows and dollies and not snagging.

I know I've fished beads, flesh flies, and other wet flies in the Russian with the weight more like 6" - 9" up from the fly. Should I turn myself in?

-Gr
    Should you turn yourself in? Well I wouldn't, but you were fishing against the regulations if it was before the August 20th change. And no, it would not be a good question for Fish and Game because it is spelled out in the regs very clearly in my opinion. I'm sure Fish and Game would not give you a hard time about it either, but I am also sure they wouldn't hesitate to give you a $200.00 citation. I have actually seen this citation being handed out on the Russian. Sometimes we just need to do a lot of line mending to get that fly down or maybe add a few twist of lead (less than 1/4 oz) under the body of the fly as you tie it.