Thread: Whittier Lingcod

Default Whittier Lingcod

My girlfriend and I had the time of our lives while fishing for lingcod in early July with Crackerjack Charters in Seward. I have a small 17 foot skiff and was wondering if there was any decent fishing for lings that wasn't too far out of Whittier? If there isn't would we be better off just chasing silvers and some Rockfish?? I would love to see my gal hook into another big Ling though!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingslayer View Post
    My girlfriend and I had the time of our lives while fishing for lingcod in early July with Crackerjack Charters in Seward. I have a small 17 foot skiff and was wondering if there was any decent fishing for lings that wasn't too far out of Whittier? If there isn't would we be better off just chasing silvers and some Rockfish?? I would love to see my gal hook into another big Ling though!!
    All my ling spots are at least 50 miles out. Define close? I don't know if I'd be interested in crossing wells passage in a 14ft skiff, but thats me.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    All my ling spots are at least 50 miles out. Define close? I don't know if I'd be interested in crossing wells passage in a 14ft skiff, but thats me.
    Dittos,

Asside from Salmon, the only consistant quality fishing I've been able to find when launching from Whittier starts at the N end of the Knight Island group and gets better from there. I'd say a boat suitable for fishing there in realistic conditions you'll face is one that can comfortably run in a 2' chop and can be safely run in a 4' chop.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm heading out to the north end of Kinght first thing in the morning. Would you be willing to give me some ideas where to try for a ling and halibut?

Rob

Check your charts for high relief areas, i.e those that show dropping from say 100-200' depth to 2000' depth, the steeper the better. Most of my fishing has been on the W side. The charts won't show pinnacles, but after drifting the areas that show as ridges on the charts you'll find out where the pinnacles lie, there are some that come up to 50'. The nice thing about the W side is you are in protected water, so even with the typical E wind, you can keep fishing in relatively calm water.

There is a pinnacle on the E side that I've done ok on, but you have to be spot on the high point of it, or fishing just dies, and it doesn't show as a pinnacle on the charts. I jig while drifting over those areas. Fish a large white grub on a 8-16 oz lead head, or a 7-12 oz crippled herring or similar metal jig. You likely won't get a limit of ling cod, but should be able to pick up a few legal ones. Sometimes they'll strike short, grab the tail but not get hooked, which can be frustrating.

I've never caught halibut in that area. There should be silvers in there though, just drift past the points of islands and either toss buzz bombs or mooch. Plenty of rockfish as well. For Halibut you'll likely need to run to Montague.

If they strike short, put a trailing hook on the setup. It attaches to the grub hook and hangs by the end of the tail. Caught quite a few that way.

Thanks guys.

Paul H,
    Are you talking about the west side of the north end near Disk Island area? I'm about to check the charts to highlight some spots that you mentioned.

Looks like it's going to be nice weather and calm seas out there too.

Default Holy Mosses Starts at Knight Island

I have fished and messed around out of Whittier since 1975, sure have fished out that far, but 80% of what I do is almost never past Perry.
    But in the boat you own which was the original question, there is fishing within Passage Channel, never caught a Ling, Early season Kings, Silvers now, black rock fish, yellow eye, and of course Halibut. Biggest inside the Channel was 125#. Fish Deep like that wasn't a given, LOL.
    Gee I wish every one had a better boat then the good fishing could move another 100 miles, fish with what ya got where you can go.
    Hope that helps on your question.