Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Fly Rod, Broken Heart

Default Broken Fly Rod, Broken Heart

I broke my first and only fly rod this weekend, in a **** HUMPY no less. *sigh* It's a gary King rod so I cannot send it back to the manufacturer, obviously....

I've broken it right at the ferrule on the 4th piece. I don't know enough about fly rods to figure out whether or not it's worth fixing. I did a little research and found that the rod is a blank made in Korea and tied at Gary Kings. Apparently it's a 3010 carbon fiber rod, 8wt, 4 piece 9'. I know I need to take it into a fly shop and see what they have to say...Just wanted to know what y'all thought. If you had any recommendation on shops, whether or not it's feasible to fix it on my own, or if I should just buy a new rod. I have NO IDEA how much a repair will cost, not even a ballpark figure.

Money is tight. ATM I've got about 300 to spend.

I just wanted to vent, and get advice on the best form of action to take...
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

I don't know of any reasonable way to repair it short of getting a replacement blank section, then rewrapping that. But the good news is that less than $300 these days buys you a whale of a rod from Temple Fork Outfitters. I've got a house full of high end rods, but they're staying home and the TFO rods get to fish. And they've got a warranty, to boot.

Check out the Echo line of rods. If you are in anchorage, both Worldwide and Mossy's carry them. The Echo Ion is an awesome rod for less than 200 bucks.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Another good suggestion. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I'm hearing very good reports.

Echo rods are awesome for the price. I picked up a 4wt the other day for north and smaller creeks. I love it. Only like 169 bucks. I have casted their other rods and all feel really good.

I've been thinking about a GLoomis for awhile, the boyfriend has a Loomis Xperience 9wt I played with a little and I liked it. It's 335 on their site and they have a good warranty from what I hear...

Considering I am moving this time next year, but we won't know where until about January, I might as well wait on buying a spendy fly rod until I know where I will be! Sound reasonable??

" I did a little research and found that the rod is a blank made in Korea and tied at Gary Kings. Apparently it's a 3010 carbon fiber rod, 8wt, 4 piece 9'. I know I need to take it into a fly shop and see what they have to say...Just wanted to know what y'all thought. If you had any recommendation on shops, whether or not it's feasible to fix it on my own, or if I should just buy a new rod."

I really doubt it can be "fixed" to any real satisfaction. Some rods have been patched up by inserting another piece of rod over the break, but you end up with a stiff chunk of rod next to two flexible points...

The TFO rods are "sleepers" for the price. You can pick up a two piece 9 wt for $110. http://www.flyfishusa.com/rods/tfo/tfo-series-1.htm

Rods do break, it sounds like yours was either a manufacturing defect or it became damaged some how.

L

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    The TFO rods are "sleepers" for the price. You can pick up a two piece 9 wt for $110. http://www.flyfishusa.com/rods/tfo/tfo-series-1.htm

L
    I can vouch for TFO... I have three of their rods. My 7wt broke last year, and my 5 wt broke this year, all due to accidents on my part (never from a fish). I sent them in and they were replaced - no questions asked. I just had to pay the shipping both ways.

TFO is an excellent choice. I have a buddy who has an Echo and for the money he loves it also. I used to fish and my wife still fishes TFO. I upgraded to a couple of sage's this year is the only reason Im not throwing them. i still have mine for backup and a loaner
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    TFO is an excellent choice. I have a buddy who has an Echo and for the money he loves it also. I used to fish and my wife still fishes TFO. I upgraded to a couple of sage's this year is the only reason Im not throwing them. i still have mine for backup and a loaner
    I have 2 tfo's a 6 and a 5. They are good rods for the price but I honeslty can tell the difference from them and my 6 wt sage.
    You can get a sage for cheap and any one who needs help write me I can get you into one.

Not to sound snooty but you really do get what you pay for, and honestly I think paying a little extra for a good rod makes a big difference. And I am not saying every one shoudlbuy a sage, but buy a good rod that "fits" you. When it happens you will know what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    I've been thinking about a GLoomis for awhile, the boyfriend has a Loomis Xperience 9wt I played with a little and I liked it. It's 335 on their site and they have a good warranty from what I hear...

Considering I am moving this time next year, but we won't know where until about January, I might as well wait on buying a spendy fly rod until I know where I will be! Sound reasonable??
    one of my buddies got me into GLoomis... i will never buy any other brand except for maybe st criox... love all my loomis rods

The boyfriend has a GLoomis Xperience 9wt and it's SOOOOOO wobbly and soft in the middle, I'm really not a fan of it now that I've toyed with it. The roomie has a 9wt Fenwick (I think) he got as a combo for 120. I'll be using that until I can save up for something decent. Going to Hope tomorrow to fish with the little bro and test it out.

I played with a TFO at Sportsmans last night, I kinda liked it! I also liked the Echo Ion 8wt, too! Decisions decisions. I'm not going to dish out for a Sage or loomis yet, not until I know where I am going for the next 4 years. I'd hate to spend 6-700 on a 9wt only to find it's going to be way too heavy for the kind of fishing there.

Two of my favorite rods in the $300 range are the Scott A3 and St Croix Legend Ultra. Both are fantastic rods with lifetime warranties. I get most my Scott rods online from Ronn at Yagers Fly Shop. Same day shipping in most cases.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    Decisions decisions. I'm not going to dish out for a Sage or loomis yet, not until I know where I am going for the next 4 years. I'd hate to spend 6-700 on a 9wt only to find it's going to be way too heavy for the kind of fishing there.
    Good call. Each of us is going to like a different feel, and within any brand, different models will feel different. I sure recommend that you do just what you did with your boyfriend's rod: Go to different stores and pick up different models within each brand. You won't know what's right for you till you have it in your hand.

For example, TFO's TiCRX model really suits my aggressive casting style, but my wife calls them "telephone poles." She like a little less "body" in rods, and she's a really credible caster.

Broke my 7wt sage on a red they wont take it back to fix it. Need to pay i guess
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Broke my 7wt sage on a red they wont take it back to fix it. Need to pay i guess
    Why won't they take it back to fix?
    "The Tug is the Drug"

I have broken and repaired Two of the Identical Rods that you have. I know where it broke. It was broken at the point where the ferral stops at the section going in. You can easily repair it by squaring off the broken end, by vertically holding the section up and sanding the broken end, using a figure eight pattern of movement. Next using medium grit paper, Tape the section where you don't want sanded with electricians tape, by measuring the depth of the broken piece. Sand the finish off the "new" section, to the point it will slip in the ferral. Luckily, the diameter of the section remains true for about five inches, which is more that you need. You only loose about 2 1/4 inches of overall rod length. Glue the rubber tip in the new section, using a quality urethane cement, like AquaSeal. It won't break again. They were all factory flawed and Gary K. knew it, that is why he sold them off so cheap when he was going under.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

OK i am a Neanderthal i admit it but for Kenai reds you just cant beat an Ugly Stik fly rod. Yes they are a bit heavy but who cares? they last forever and if you break one you tried very hard to break it. I have a good 8wt Sage but wont use in there. I have seen way to many expensive rods break on the Kenai. For red fishing you dont really cast and need a very tough rod. My Ugly Stik ran about 65.00 and you can pull a truck out of the ditch with it.

Yeah they wont take my sage back might just get a 9wt TFO
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

TFO warranty:
    Our No-Fault Warranty is for the life of the original registered owner. Fill out the form below or return the registration card you received with your purchase to activate your warranty.
    To use your No-fault Warranty, simply send the entire rod to our address in Dallas listed below. We recommend using a carrier that provides tracking information in case of a problem. Include your return shipping / contact information and a check for $25 per broken rod. Your repaired rod will be shipped back to you within a few days of receipt. Blanks sections (as appropriate) will be replaced and returned with related hardware and finishings from broken sections.

Sage Warranty:
    This warranty is limited to repair and replacement of the rod, blank or reel and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover fire, theft, loss, intentional breakage, modification or customization of the finished rod, or damage during the assembly of a blank into a finished rod. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

Sage reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any Sage Product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models with comparable models when necessary. Colors and components may vary between original and replacement parts.

The lifetime, original owner warranty applies to rods with a serial # beginning with the letter "M" and higher, including all double letters (i.e. AA, AB, AC). Rods with serial #'s beginning with the single letters "A - L" (generally manufactured prior to 1995); have an original owner lifetime guarantee against any defect in materials or workmanship. Any of these series of rods that fail due to misuse, negligence or normal wear-and-tear will be repaired or replaced at a reasonable cost. The serial # may be found on the rod directly opposite the Sage logo.

For all return shipments within the U.S., the original owner will be responsible for a $50 fee for each repaired item to cover return shipping, insurance and processing. International customers will be charged actual shipping and insurance costs, and will be responsible for all related customs and duty charges
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast