Thread: Argo river crossings

Default Argo river crossings

I recently bought an Argo ('97 Conquest-no tracks) and have been tinkering with it and testing it out all summer. Anxious to do the "real deal" this fall on my moose hunt! It looks like the rivers may be higher this fall and was wondering about the best way to cross them. Probably the largest river we'll have to cross is the Nelchina. Any tips will be appreciated!

I would think that if you could wade across, attach your winch line to something then go across would be the way to do it. But thats about the only idea I have

Growin' up, my first car of sorts on the mountainside was an 8-wheel drive ARGO industrial model. Other than a pesky Kohler engine, it was a real girl getter and very capable amphibious rig. Great hill crawler, fine in the swamps, run atop a whole lot without the damages/impact that 3-wheelers and 4-wheelers did.

Had the old plastic tracks, ARGO Cap, ARGO matching floating trailer, snow-plow, and winch (too whimpy tho). Also had an outboard motor. Man, I went everywhere other folks could never get to including places that walking would be horrendously trying.

In any moving water that may float the ARGO --- you must be extremely careful, conservative, cautious, load conscious ,as well as have the A B w/ C planning/tactics plus on your A-Game. PFD is a good notion!

I recommend getting plenty of time going in and out on a small pond.... flotation characteristics, propulsion delay, entry and exit strategy w/ finesse.

Do not use the winch unless you like you and your ARGO as a diving plug on swifter, moving water that may indeed float the rig. Again - you must be extremely careful, conservative, cautious, load conscious, as well as have the A+B w/ C planning/tactics plus on your A-Game. PFD is a good notion!

To cross moving water a ferry angle and entry/exit angles are the most important factors. You'll also notice by the delay in propulsion that this can have you loosing these all important crossing angles ((your azz)) getting you into trouble without a way to correct it quickly.

I do have solutions should you consider deeper moving water crossings and floating. I have one ARGO on the floor of the Hangar and can show you over here.

Thanks for the suggestions and warnings. I have had it out on a pond and was surprised at how the handling characteristcs change in the water. I agree that in moving water it would be easy to loose control. Nothing big and fast for sure!!